Using a Pool pump W/O Sand Filter to clean Pool

Jleek0151

Mar 26, 2019
Illinois
So I have a random question about using a pool pump without a sand filter. My pool wasn't opened last year and it has a lot of dead algae at the bottom of the pool. All my pool equipment is under my deck and hard to get to. My question is can I just hook my pool vacuum up to my pump directly to clean my pool before I hook my filter and pump up under my deck? Only reason I ask is ill be vacuuming to waste anyway so the filter does't get clogged. If I hook everything up ill be running up and down my deck cleaning the pump out every couple minutes. If i just hook the vacuum up to my pump I can leave it on my deck close to me to keep an eye on it?

I don't see why you couldn't hook it up without the filter as long as you can get the pieces to fit together properly.
Is the junk thick enough to just net out? it may be a better option than stopping the pump every few minutes to clean out the pump basket, re-prime the hose & pump and start again. AGP type pumps typically don;t work well unless primed before starting (aka no air in the hose & pump basket).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.