York PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
I use a set of 1 1/2" pipes to screw into my returns when I aerate to raise pH during the season. If I unscrew the 90 and reducer from the top(not pictured) and replace it with a cap (pictured) I have a capped pipe that is above the water line and level with my pool deck. It would certainly make it easier to close the pool with one person by using this system. (Blow out the lines, pipe extending above water line is easy to identify as cleared and there is no rush to screw on the cap) The potential downside I see would be if the surface of the pool froze and somehow snapped the pipes. While the water in the pool did not freeze last year, I only have on year of winter data to go on. Am I courting trouble if I attempt this?

Attachments

• 20211002_163851.jpg
    20211002_163851.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 12
If you lower the water level below the returns, why is there a ‘rush’ to put the caps on? You risk ruining the threads on the return if you get significant ice build up and ‘pipe movement’.
Point well taken on the water level. I was choosing a water level above the returns based on how my pool company closed it last year, nothing else. I guess if you're going to be a one man show it's easier/safer to drop it as you suggest.

Point well taken on the water level. I was choosing a water level above the returns based on how my pool company closed it last year, nothing else. I guess if you're going to be a one man show it's easier/safer to drop it as you suggest.
If you use the cyclone blower, it’s pretty easy to put the cap on while it’s blowing and it won’t build up a lot of pressure. I gave up on the fancy bungee plugs and rubber plugs and just used PVC caps with some Teflon tape. Even used the style with a big square on the end so I can get a wrench on it to loosen it in the spring. I blew out 2 skimmers, 5 returns and a main drain alone.

Just another option to consider.

Reactions: BK MAC
If you use the cyclone blower, it’s pretty easy to put the cap on while it’s blowing and it won’t build up a lot of pressure. I gave up on the fancy bungee plugs and rubber plugs and just used PVC caps with some Teflon tape. Even used the style with a big square on the end so I can get a wrench on it to loosen it in the spring. I blew out 2 skimmers, 5 returns and a main drain alone.

Just another option to consider.
The real world feedback on the cyclone is good info. Doing it myself, I was wondering how quickly I had to turn off the cyclone after capping the last return line. For now, I was able to enlist my son's help to run the cyclone while I plugged the return lines with the rubber plugs we had on hand. A little bit of tweaking and I think I'll be fine on my own for next year's closing. Thanks again for your input.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.