Using a Peristaltic pump for Chlorine

Apr 30, 2017
San Jose, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
(MOD EDIT: Moved from this thread Using a Peristaltic Pump for Chlorine)

I use a ton of peristaltic pumps on commercial pools as well, mostly Stenners. I also have them on my home pool along with an ORP/pH controller.

Maintenance on a peristaltic pump can be high but is generally directly proportional to how many hours it is run. On a residential application it's so low compared to commercial that maintenance isn't as intense.

I usually replace the feed tube once per year on a PM basis and inspect the tubing (suction/discharge), rollers, and all connections as well. That eliminates most problems. If I get lazy and don't do this though, a broken feed tube will make a big mess.

"White Stuff" isn't an issue with peristaltic pumps. It probably exists but the orifices are large enough to where it's not a problem. You can get salt blocks on the chlorine injection point and lines over time, particularly if you have air in your system but again on a low use residential system it's probably a once every 2-3 years scenario.

This is useful. I'm looking at doing this myself and had a few questions if you wouldn't mind sharing your experience on it. I'm planning to use the sensors & pump from Atlas Scientific since it's tinker-friendly.

*How can I connect a pump to PVC tubing? I'm struggling to find connectors that can take it from the silicon tube to PVC tubing
*What's the highest rate you would recommend such that people can still bath safely for Chlorine & Acid (or do you always have it done when there's a guarantee that no-one's in the pool?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris, I can only answer your second question- You base your "rate" on your desired chemistry levels, and you confirm you're meeting these levels thru quality owner testing. You then tweak the rate to meet the goal.

You maintain these levels whether someone is in the pool or not. Algae isn't shy and will take over any time your FC level is lower than needed.

Recommended Levels
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
FC/CYA Levels

(As to your first questions: the pics I've seen of pumps use a small silicone tube drilled in to the PVC along a return line. Some type of plug seals the tube into the PVC)

Maddie

Yippee's correct - it's not the rate that determines safety; it's the level of free chlorine (in parts per million) in the pool. Too low and you can encounter algae and other bacterial risks. Too high and and skin irritation can occur. Note: I'm not too sure what the "too high" is, but most here say that SLAM levels (20-30 ppm chlorine) is still safe.

Stenner pumps come with tubing and fittings. You need to drill and tap a hole in your pvc to accept the supplied injector filling. You may want to take a hard look at SWG before investing in the Stenner. I used Stenner pumps for years before seeing the light and went SWG. I wish I had went SWG years ago before doing the Stenner thing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.