Using a floating chlorinator while on vacation

al27

Sep 11, 2017
TN
I like to use a floating chlorinator while I'm on vacation since I don't know anyone that I can trust to add chlorine daily that lives nearby. I've noticed that the floating chlorinator tends to get stuck near the ladder, in a corner, in the skimmer opening, or near the steps in the shallow end so I need to find a way to prevent this from happening. I'd like to tether it somehow so It will stay in the middle of the pool but I can't figure out how to do it. I won't be running the pump while I'm gone so I'm concerned the chlorinator will park itself near a wall, near the ladder, or near the shallow end steps and stay there since there won't be much water movement. I am only going to be gone 4 days and I plan on getting the pool up to shock level before I leave. I'm hoping that the additional chlorine in this floating chlorinator will help some, since I will only be gone a short time. Does anyone have any suggestions for me on how to tether a floating chlorinator so it will stay in the middle of the pool and won't be able to float near any of the walls, the steps, or ladder? Is there any type of floating chlorinator that tends to work better if you plan on tethering it?

Take some pool noodle and tie it into an "X" pattern. Then tie the chlorinator to the center of the "X" so it dangles down in the middle. See if that doesn't keep it away from walls and such.\

Or somehow make the pool noodle a circle... ?

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: al27
Easy. Do you have a pool net on a pole? Put the floater in the net. Put the net in the water. Use something heavy to anchor the end of the pole on your deck.
I like this idea since it would keep the floater in the deep end and away from the walls. Would the chlorine coming out of the floater damage the net and will the chlorine coming out of it help any if it stays in the same place in the deep end for 4 days?

The pool noodle idea seems good too but I'm worried that it would park itself in the shallow end and stay there since the pump will be off. I might try both of these solutions before I leave and see if any of them work.

I like this idea since it would keep the floater in the deep end and away from the walls. Would the chlorine coming out of the floater damage the net and will the chlorine coming out of it help any if it stays in the same place in the deep end for 4 days?
It didn't damage my net when I did this last year. But I also ran my pump. Is there a way you can run the pump while you're away? Don't you have it on a timer?

It didn't damage my net when I did this last year. But I also ran my pump. Is there a way you can run the pump while you're away? Don't you have it on a timer?
Thanks for the advice. I don't have my pump on a timer and I don't feel comfortable running the pump while I'm away since storms are expected and my pool is surrounded by trees. Its cheaper to clear my pool up from algae than to replace a broken pump so I'm going to shut the pump off when I leave.

Thanks for the advice. I don't have my pump on a timer and I don't feel comfortable running the pump while I'm away since storms are expected and my pool is surrounded by trees. Its cheaper to clear my pool up from algae than to replace a broken pump so I'm going to shut the pump off when I leave.

I know this thread is older, but just throwing in my .02 from before having a swg.

Take your pole with attachment, extend it, find a spot to lay it across an area of the pool (corner near return perhaps). Use old shoelace in hole of floater lid, loop it around pole, tie. Slide lace to the extension point in pole (where rods overlap) and walk away. I used to suspend it over the deep end, and feet from the walls, every vacation. Never had an issue.

I used to add stabilizer via sock the same way.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.