CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
not sure if this is common knowledge, but I was able to empty my pool below returns using my vacuum hose this year. Saved me so much time, and I cant believe it never dawned on me to do it this way. Hope this helps someone down the line!

Normally we are a bit hesitant to rely on a pool's main pump for lowering the water level due to potential suction air issues and such, but glad to hear everything went well for you. Enjoy the pool maintenance break for a few months. :cheers:
if its set up through the manual hose line, where could air get in? Just strikes me as weird that it isn't standard procedure, its a 3hp variable speed pump wired 220, hooked up to a drain of 2" pipe, not a garden hose. Used to take me 6 hours to pump, took 30 minutes this round.

if its set up through the manual hose line, where could air get in?
Vacuum hoses never seem to provide am air-tight seal. Even so, using a pool's main pump to drain water can (for some people) become problematic. Many pool owners prefer a separate sump pump to lower or exchange water. But it sounds as though you had good success, so do what works best. :goodjob:

Reactions: Newdude
This yr. I just used the garden hose siphon trick and set the elevation of the hose in the pool where I wanted it to stop.
Of course it takes 3 or 4 days, but that was all part of the plan.
yeah i was trying to avoid the multi day fiasco. Texas Splash makes a good point of not getting air in the line though. Was just baffled I never thought to do it before, and it made the closing time a total of an hour and change rather than a few days!

Vacuum hoses never seem to provide am air-tight seal. Even so, using a pool's main pump to drain water can (for some people) become problematic. Many pool owners prefer a separate sump pump to lower or exchange water. But it sounds as though you had good success, so do what works best. :goodjob:
you make a solid point there, glad I was lucky.

if its set up through the manual hose line, where could air get in? Just strikes me as weird that it isn't standard procedure, its a 3hp variable speed pump wired 220, hooked up to a drain of 2" pipe, not a garden hose. Used to take me 6 hours to pump, took 30 minutes this round.
Our vacuum hose through the wall port does not drain water fast enough to keep up with the suction of the skimmer going dry. Air gets in every time. It's a 1 1/2 HP single speed pump and 1 1/2" pipe.
We use a submersible pump to take the water level down once it gets to the port openings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.