Use SWG or Bleach

Gkids

Apr 12, 2018
National City, CA
Ok. I'm about 3 to 4 weeks away from buying an above ground pool. Just, finishing up the area and will need to order road base and compact. I am thinking of having the following.

Pool: Coleman 18' x 9' x 48" rectangular pool (3,913 gal at 90% capacity)
SWG: Intex Krystal Clear SWG with E.C.O. for up to 15,000 gallon (Currently $129 at Amazon or Walmart)

Question is will having SWG really saves me time for maintenance and money for chemicals? I am reading reviews or the product outside of TFP website (amazon reviews and walmart reviews) and SWG system owners were saying that they don't add anything else on the pool. Reading TFP it looks like I will need to add CYA to keep the chlorine it produces.

If I do not go with SWG how much chlorine do I need to put in for the summer season (Mid-may to end of Sept)?

Do you really save time in maintaining pool using an SWG?

Thanks!

I have an above ground pool in full sun all day without a SWG and I spend less than 10 minutes testing and adding liquid chlorine every day or 2. We can't possibly tell you how much liquid you could go through a summer but using a SWG would cut down on your manual additions but you'll still be testing your water chemistry daily to make sure everything is in working order.

You will need to add CYA with a salt system. In the long run it will save you money on bleach. You'll use a little more Acid in a salt pool.

For me the benefit is having a pool that remains balanced for longer periods of time. I travel a lot and it's nice to not have to hire someone to take care of the pool if I'm gone for a week.

$129.00 sounds cheap for a SWG system. You might want to expand your research a bit. Cells alone typically go for $500.00.

Thanks Phillbo, So with SWG you only need CYA and let the SWG take care of the chlorine? Do you feel the water to be softer to skin and hair using an SWG?

You will need to add CYA with a salt system. In the long run it will save you money on bleach. You'll use a little more Acid in a salt pool.

For me the benefit is having a pool that remains balanced for longer periods of time. I travel a lot and it's nice to not have to hire someone to take care of the pool if I'm gone for a week.

$129.00 sounds cheap for a SWG system. You might want to expand your research a bit. Cells alone typically go for $500.00.

Thanks Casey, I saw the recent picture you posted with a truckload of bleach on your 1st SLAM in 10 years. Does putting that much bleach makes the pool smells like chlorine or does the smell goes away once the water is balanced?

I have an above ground pool in full sun all day without a SWG and I spend less than 10 minutes testing and adding liquid chlorine every day or 2. We can't possibly tell you how much liquid you could go through a summer but using a SWG would cut down on your manual additions but you'll still be testing your water chemistry daily to make sure everything is in working order.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.