Use of Floc

eemueller

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2013
SE Michigan
After tile work in my pool, I'm left with floating particles that are too small for the sand filter to remove. The Dolphin pool bot is doing it's best, but the water is still cloudy. I've read about flocculents, and that sounds like a good plan. However, I've read that I need to run my pool on recirculate without going through the filter in order for the floc to work. My pool isn't plumbed in such a way that I can do that. Suggestions? Thanks!

Sorry to keep posting about this same problem, but I've never dealt with it before. The tile work in my pool resulted in suspended particulates in the water that are too small for the sand filter to remove. Due to the plumbing of my pool, using a flocculent is not possible. I've ordered extra-fine filters for my Dolphin pool bot, but I suddenly had the idea of placing pieces of 1-3 micron poly filter media over the intakes. Bad idea? I'll take any suggestions short of draining the pool. Thanks.

You aren't completely up creek. With a sand filter, you should have the option to vac-to-waste. I had to use floc after a flood & mudslide. It's a b to clean up after, but it did get me back to a beautiful pool. Add the floc to your pool and run your pump for an hour to circulate. Then turn your pump off for 24 hours so the floc can combine and settle. After that, you'll just vacuum all of the contents out to waste. It's a good idea to keep the garden hose (keep it up high to not disturb the bottom) in the pool as you vacuum to replenish what you'll lose. Once the schmutz is gone, run your filter for 24 hours. After that time period, back wash. Another 24, another backwash. You should be good to go.

You aren't completely up creek. With a sand filter, you should have the option to vac-to-waste. I had to use floc after a flood & mudslide. It's a b to clean up after, but it did get me back to a beautiful pool. Add the floc to your pool and run your pump for an hour to circulate. Then turn your pump off for 24 hours so the floc can combine and settle. After that, you'll just vacuum all of the contents out to waste. It's a good idea to keep the garden hose (keep it up high to not disturb the bottom) in the pool as you vacuum to replenish what you'll lose. Once the schmutz is gone, run your filter for 24 hours. After that time period, back wash. Another 24, another backwash. You should be good to go.
Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately the plumbing on my pool doesn't allow for vac-to-waste, only vac-to-filter. I read a post that the floc will clog up the sand filter, and I just had it replaced two days ago. Not eager to incur the expense again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
. I just had the sand replaced, so is it OK to add DE?
Read the link. It tells you how to do it. :)

It isn't needed for everyday use, but in special circumstances it brings the sand filter to DE filter capabilities. It will likely clog quick, so keep tabs on it, but it's a good thing if it does. Backwash and repeat as necessary.

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately the plumbing on my pool doesn't allow for vac-to-waste, only vac-to-filter. I read a post that the floc will clog up the sand filter, and I just had it replaced two days ago. Not eager to incur the expense again.
Dude. That sucks pretty hard. If you're even a tiny bit handy and you have the space in your plumbing, you can plumb in a 3-way valve and get a roll of backwash hose for around $300 all in.

>By all-in, I include the cost of pvc cutter, pipe dope, etc.

Reactions: Newdude
Dude. That sucks pretty hard. If you're even a tiny bit handy and you have the space in your plumbing, you can plumb in a 3-way valve and get a roll of backwash hose for around $300 all in.

>By all-in, I include the cost of pvc cutter, pipe dope, etc.
Thanks for the reply. Dumb question... when you say vac-to-waste do you mean vacuuming with the slide valve in backwash setting? I'm fine with doing PVC plumbing, however I'm not sure how the 3-way valve would be inserted into the inserted into the system.

when you say vac-to-waste do you mean vacuuming with the slide valve in backwash setting?
You won't have a vacuum to WASTE setting with a slide valve unfortunately. Those apply to filters with a multiport valve, or if someone had a valve to WASTE installed between the pump outlet and before the filter.

Reactions: eemueller
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.