Follow my owner build pool in AZ

That is something to consider, you must first think of what purpose your shelf is being designed for.
Honestly - just for resale. We've never had one before so aren't dead set on it. Our pool is big enough that we can lose the space for the baja shelf. In our area everyone recommends one - whether for looks or lounging, not too sure. My kids are middle school age and won't really be playing on it like younger ones might. Maybe we will put the cheap plastic chairs for grandparents? So they can sit comfortably and not necessarily swim? Really not sure.

Here are my scuppers. This online site was great to work with. I wanted hammered copper scuppers to match the fire bowls but they weren’t listed. They customized them for me with hammer copper sides and top and smooth copper for the bottom.

There is a four foot long step at each end of the Baja. The steps into the pool are off the Baja.
View attachment 561334
Thanks for sharing! Is the height on the initial 4 ft steps different than the other 3 steps?

Did you do a heat pump / chiller combo? Or separate equipment for both?

Did you tie your auto fill to softened water?

Are your side by side benches at two different depths or is that just showing a slope as the pool gets deeper?

I have benches on the opposite side of the house to make use of the 4' extra bump outs next to the platform, but I was wondering whether I should put them on the house side instead. Any advice?

This is all personal preference from the customer. If younger children are the main reason for the shelf then it seems that a first step of 7”-9” of water depth is requested.
If the family is older then the second step shelf works best.
Today there are many choices for chairs/lounges all depending on your preference.
I advise customers that even with only 6” of water above the shelf you can still float across that area just the same as the rest of the pool.
A second step bubbler will not perform the same as a first step bubbler, even with a variable speed pump.

This is all personal preference from the customer. If younger children are the main reason for the shelf then it seems that a first step of 7”-9” of water depth is requested.
If the family is older then the second step shelf works best.
Today there are many choices for chairs/lounges all depending on your preference.
I advise customers that even with only 6” of water above the shelf you can still float across that area just the same as the rest of the pool.
A second step bubbler will not perform the same as a first step bubbler, even with a variable speed pump.
Thank you. Does a bubbler affect ph as much as the sheer descent / scrapper / rainfall?

Ok, I have been in multiple training classes this week industry related some of them given by Taylor (test kits) and not one of the instructors could advise me on how much spas, spillways and such effect the PH , they did advise that it does have an effect, just not how much and they down play how much. So to answer your question, I always advise to make your decisions on what you want the pool to do for you and your family, then you can make the best decision and deal with the smaller details at a later time.

Thanks for sharing! Is the height on the initial 4 ft steps different than the other 3 steps?

Did you do a heat pump / chiller combo? Or separate equipment for both?

Did you tie your auto fill to softened water?

Are your side by side benches at two different depths or is that just showing a slope as the pool gets deeper?

I have benches on the opposite side of the house to make use of the 4' extra bump outs next to the platform, but I was wondering whether I should put them on the house side instead. Any advice?
Yes the steps onto the Baja are about 5” above the Baja and 8” down from the decking.

Set up for electric heat pump and gas heat and have pad space for the heater and large glacier chiller.

Autofill is connected to soft water

Benches are all “typical” depths of -21” except for three corners. Far right lower in picture is deeper at -25”, far left and right upper benches are shallower at -17”. Felt wanted one location to sit down further so water is up over shoulders and put it in the deep end. Wanted some shallower benches so could sit on bench and would be able to have arms sitting on decking at armpit level with a drink in hand. Yes we did measure how high up my armpits and shoulder are from sitting!

My opinion on location of steps is think about your regular use and put them where most convenient balancing with how you think you’ll use the pool. Do you want short distance from where you would be going in and out of your home. Do you want to encourage people to take a certain path? Ours are pretty much straight out of our patio door, figuring n the peak of summer want to have a short distance to get in some shade.

Dog,

Well.. is your pool one inch deep or 50 feet deep.. :mrgreen:

The size of the pool does not matter, it is the amount of water in the pool that matters.

A SWCG needs to be 2 x the volume of the pool. So a 20K pool needs a 40K cell, etc.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How many gallons? If you don't know, click the link below and use the pool volume estimation tool. Average depth of 5.5 ft, the pool will have approximately 40,000 gallons. If thats accurate, TFP recommends SWGs be rated for twice the pool volume, but you should be able to get by with a 60k gallon unit.

Hi Jim. The pool will have an average depth of around 4 ft so roughly 32k gallons. Is there a SWG that would work for this size? Would I need to get two? I'm really confused on this and pool equipment generally for a pool of this size.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240416_173558_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240416_173558_Gallery.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 2
How many gallons? If you don't know, click the link below and use the pool volume estimation tool. Average depth of 5.5 ft, the pool will have approximately 40,000 gallons. If thats accurate, TFP recommends SWGs be rated for twice the pool volume, but you should be able to get by with a 60k gallon unit.

Thank you! It will be roughly 32k gallons. Do you recommend any specific make and model?

Will pool have an automation system? If so, you want to stick with a SWG that plays well with the automation controller. Otherwise, my first choice would be the Circupool RJ60. It's well regarded here on the forum.

Intellichlor IC60 would be the choice for SWG and your pool size with Pentair automation. @Jimrahbe can provide you with the best full picture of what you’d want.

Dog,

I would suggest the new Pentair IntelliCenter that comes with a built-in SWCG power Center and an IC60..

An IntelliFlo VSF or an IntelliFlo3, with a display.

A large cartridge filter..

Pretty easy for me to spend your money.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks, Jim. I had one plumber recommend 2 of everything (two pumps, two filters, two vac lines, two skimmers). I am not sure if I actually need all that or he is just trying to sell me on stuff. Do you think I need two of everything?

I was considering putting in two 4 or 5 ft sheer descents on the back wall. He said he'd plumb one to each of the pumps.

Do you know if the new LED sheer descent by Hayward can be linked to the Intellicenter?

Can you please explain to me in basic terms the difference between the two Intelliflos you recommended?

Do you have recommendations for a heat pump and chiller?

Many thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support