Upgrading Jandy 6614

orphancars

May 14, 2022
Fort Worth, TX
Greetings!

Need some help. I have an older Jandy Aqualink and Aquapure system. It's worked well -- or at least I have kept it bandaided for the past 15 years. I think I am at a point for an upgrade because:

* Remote is wonky/slow/eats batteries
* No connection between Aqualink and Aquapure. Last maintenance guy seemed to think it was on the Aqualink side. Hence I can't control the Aquapure remotely....I have to do it from the control panel. So they are disconnected.
* Would like to upgrade to use an app instead of the wonky remote.

Does it make sense to stay in the Jandy lineup and replace/upgrade the Aqualink? What do I need?
Or - is there something better? And yeah, I understand that this would entail upgrading the Aquapure as well (and would be the more expensive route).

Thanks for the advice!

-jeffd

dfwnoob

Gold Supporter
Feb 27, 2022
DFW
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Indeed, the Jandy remote is hot garbage (if you're referring to the PDA, although the wireless OneTouch is also rubbish).

You've got a couple of options - 1. You can piece together a more updated system from used parts, which is what I did because I'm cheap and the last owner's of my home lost the old PDA. For a few hundred bucks and some of my own time and I was able to upgrade to the latest Aqualink firmware and put an indoor wall mounted controller by the patio door.

Alternatively, #2, you can upgrade to an iAqualink 3.0 (only 3.0 - the 2.0s have known WiFi issues and people try to sell used ones for as much as new 3.0 models) and be able to control the system from your phone. I don't do Internet of Trash devices, so this was out for me, but I know many people on this forum are a big fan of the system. If you're handy, you can easily do it yourself. Look for the iAqualink 3.0 iQ30-RS kit. That specific kit will give you everything you need - the power center PCB, the WiFi J-box, and the wiring between the two. I see online merchants have them for around $1100.

Last edited:
Reactions: orphancars