**UPDATE** - The pool has evaporated nearly completely.

May 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
So it's Colorado and our humidity levels are nearly nonexistent. Combine that with the windiest winter on record and you get an empty pool by March. I've heard you can't empty a AGP this much and reuse the liner. It's gone down by 2/3s before, but not like this. I've thought about adding water, but if the liner is ruined, that would be a waste. How can you prevent evaporation over the winter like this and can the liner be saved?
[attachment=0:ez062elh]Oliva's quilt 013.JPG[/attachment:ez062elh]

Re: The pool has evaporated nearly completely.

I truly do not believe it's a leak. This is only our 6th winter and it does it more or less every year. We've never been able to identify a leak and it really doesn't go down over the whole summer just splash out. If it's a leak, we can't find it. Would it take 7 months to leak out? Is there any trick to finding a hole in a liner while the pool is empty like this? Is it worth replacing the liner just for piece of mind?

Snow is pushing down on the cover and. Forcing the water out of the pool, then evaporating off the cover.

I'd refill it and just do a bucket test to be sure about the leak. You could check it at several levels, just to rule out a leak before it's completely filled.

As has been said, if it is evaporation, you can't stop it, unless you seal it from the atmosphere.

Let's see if you folks think this will tell Shelley N if the pool is leaking or evaporating (I have never been good at chemistry). Since CA, salt and cya only leave a pool with splash out or draining, wouldn't the concentration be sky high if the water evaporated? If Shelley has numbers around closing time, a test would reveal an increase (evaporation) or a decrease (dilution and leaking).

I can see problems with this idea, like the lack of circulation, ice, etc., but I am curious if this would work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Buford said:
Let's see if you folks think this will tell Shelley N if the pool is leaking or evaporating (I have never been good at chemistry). Since CA, salt and cya only leave a pool with splash out or draining, wouldn't the concentration be sky high if the water evaporated? If Shelley has numbers around closing time, a test would reveal an increase (evaporation) or a decrease (dilution and leaking).

I can see problems with this idea, like the lack of circulation, ice, etc., but I am curious if this would work.
Seems to me to be a good idea (I am not an expert)...CH might be the best measure especially if this is a vinyl pool. If this is a salt pool, that might work but measuring high enough (assuming evaporation) would be problematic. I would be helpful if the OP had good end of season numbers to compare to. I personally would avoid CYA as a gauge...I have seen strange things over the last winter here in regards to CYA "loss".

I bet John T. has the answer. My covers have all sagged under the waterline at some point in the winter for whatever reason--snow, ice, etc. After that it's totally exposed to full sun, wind, high elevation and low humidity. I realized I was emptying the pool with a cover pump several years ago. Is this why people put air pillows under their cover--to keep this from happening? That makes sense to me now. I'm not sure how to avoid it though because when you get 3 feet of snow on a pool cover, several times a winter, something's going to get smashed.

For piece of mind I still want to check for a leak somehow. Maybe with a flashlight behind the cover at night or something like that. Now if only we can find a night over 20 degrees when the wind isn't blowing like a hurricane!

There isn't a leak in the liner as water levels were great all summer using the solar cover when the pool wasn't being used. I think water loss is due to the winter cover sinking below water level and evaporation. Our winter covers seem to get holes in them from ice, flapping etc. every year so what is the solution to keeping as much water in the pool as possible over the winter? Do I leave the solar cover on under the winter cover?

My pool came close to losing that much water...the leaves and water pushed down on the liner , which in turn pushed the water in the pool up and over the sides. No leak when I opened and refilled the pool. This year I am going to add a pump on the cover and try to keep leaves off, although I work out of town most of the winter so it's tuff to do...

**UPDATE** Re: The pool has evaporated nearly completely.

I purchased the arcticblue cover mentioned above for this winter. I give it 5 stars for neatness for sure. The cover was never hanging in/below the water after the snow melted thus never we got that awful mess one has to siphon off. It came bouncing back like new every time. It probably helped with evaporation, but didn't stop it completely as I did add water a couple times over the winter. On warm days I can hear the evaporation condensing under the cover, running to the low point and dripping back into the pool. Next year I may leave the old solar cover on over the winter to see if that helps.

[attachment=1:1a5ab9ld]Pool cover with snow.jpg[/attachment:1a5ab9ld]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.