Unknown Pool Volume / Gallons

Aug 2, 2016
Frisco
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Howdy! I am the proud owner of a pool of an unknown size! The former pool service said they were treating it as a 10,000 gallon pool, but that seemed low to me.

I took some measurements and google mapped birds-eye and wanted someone to double check my math and some of my guessing as I am breaking it up into round parts as it is a bit of a kidney shaped pool.

Sunbathing ledge is 9' across and has two levels. The first level is 6" and then 2' around just under half of the circle is a step-off ledge that is 18".
The next two sections are about the same size and 15' x 50" deep.
The "deep end" is about the same size of the two sides and is 60" deep.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words... (and I am already 10% there.. so I'll shut up and listen now!) :)

Thanks!

Attachments

• Pool.png
    Pool.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 30
They say a picture is worth a thousand words
Your 16500-gallon calculation from the photos seems like a good starting guess, assuming that the measurements are correct. The sum of the cylindrical volumes is more than that, of course. But there's overlap, and the walls don't meet the floor at a right angle, so you did the right thing by rounding down.

To refine your estimate, you can use an app like PoolMath to predict the effects of adding chemicals to your pool, then measure the actual effect and adjust the estimated volume accordingly. Use a good test kit like a Taylor K-2006C or testkits.net TF-100, not imprecise test strips or pool-store testing, and adjust in small +/-500-gallon steps so one measurement or prediction error won't throw you way off. Repeat until the predicted effects match the actual effects.

You can also try this calculator to compare, select oblong 👇

Using your approximation and dialing it in by adjusting when chemical additions do more or less than expected is good enough for your needs.

But if you really NEED to know:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.