Unions that will fit side by side on a Hayward SP0714T Multi-port Valve

rosensama

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2013
Austin, TX
Hi All,

I'm just about ready to replace my multi-port valve on my filter. I've got a Hayward SP0714T and two Hayward SP14953S unions on hand and tried a dry assembly. Turns out the union collars are too wide and can't fit side by side.

Can anyone advise on a different union model to use that will fit?

Otherwise I guess I need to get some threaded pipe and use a slip / slip union in the middle of the top pipe instead of threading the unions into the valve.

Thanks,
Rob

IMG_20200727_192755.jpgIMG_20200802_132319.jpgIMG_20200802_132426.jpg

I would use one of these:

and one of these:

along with a short length of pvc to install the union you already bought a little further offset on the top pipe.

Skippy just cut in unions in an identical set up as the OP last night (bigger filter though). He just moved the top one back 6" or so. This allows us to take it all apart and put it together again if we ever need to.

Got the 2" unions at Lowes (sold as one piece, nothing had to be figured out) and on the top pipe cut out about an inch on each end of the existing PVC to fit in the new union. Sand the pipe edges and take some pipe cleaner to clean the outer and inner portion of the pipe. DRY fit everything before you glue.

Maddie :flower:

Last edited:
Thanks @YippeeSkippy and @magiteck would you mind correcting anything below if I have it wrong? You both seem to agree that I need to insert one union in a pipe cut, instead of finding a way to screw two unions directly into the valve.

I also think you both agree I can use one union screwed directly into the valve on the bottom piping. At least I hope so because that one's so short I would not be excited to try to squeeze a union into a cut in the middle of it.

Cuts in red. New connections in blue. New pipe in green.

@magiteck I think I get your setup for the top pipe
valve FPT <- threaded -> charlotte MPT x S <- cement -> new short pipe <- cement -> charlotte S x FPT <- threaded -> my union <- cement -> existing pipe

magiteck_small.jpg
@YippeeSkippy I think I also get your setup. It sounds like you think I can keep the existing fitting threaded into the valve and the pipe it's cemented to. Is that right?
valve FPT <- threaded -> existing threaded adapter and pipe <- cement -> S x S union <- cement -> existing pipe
skippy_small.jpg

Actually I would place both unions a few inches back from the Multiport valve. It allows you to stagger them as well as allows for easy access putting in and unscrewing when needed.

On the bottom line I don't see how I can do that. The exposed grey pipe is just a touch over 4 inches long and unions seem to take up 3 1/2 ish inches of pipe space. Would you mind please explaining more about how you'd approach that?

Thanks @YippeeSkippy and @magiteck would you mind correcting anything below if I have it wrong? You both seem to agree that I need to insert one union in a pipe cut, instead of finding a way to screw two unions directly into the valve.

I also think you both agree I can use one union screwed directly into the valve on the bottom piping. At least I hope so because that one's so short I would not be excited to try to squeeze a union into a cut in the middle of it.

valve FPT <- threaded -> charlotte MPT x S <- cement -> new short pipe <- cement -> charlotte S x FPT <- threaded -> my union <- cement -> existing pipe

View attachment 156446
@YippeeSkippy I think I also get your setup. It sounds like you think I can keep the existing fitting threaded into the valve and the pipe it's cemented to. Is that right?
valve FPT <- threaded -> existing threaded adapter and pipe <- cement -> S x S union <- cement -> existing pipe
View attachment 156447
I’m not sure if I follow your flow correctly, but:
Bottom - like you have it.
Top- screw the MPT x S adapter into the valve. Cement a short length of pvc into the slip end. Cement the FPT x S adapter onto the other end of the pipe. Now you can screw your union into the FPT end. And it can all be taken apart in the future as needed.

Reactions: rosensama

View attachment 156446
View attachment 156447
If the top pipe in the picture is still intact, basically you already have the MPT x S adapter (what’s in the valve now) and the short pipe and can just cut and add the S x FPT adapter where you cut.

Reactions: rosensama

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Replacement base is $80. So I'm going to try cutting the bottom pipe right at the valve and screwing an MPT x Slip union into the new valve. I'll cut the top pipe outside the bottom pipe's elbow and insert a Slip x Slip union there.

Figured I should send a picture to show how it worked out. Looking at the amount of blue around other joints after the fact I can guess I used too much PVC cement.

Also, the prior plumbing wasn't perfectly aligned. In addition to noticing the the pinch on my hacksaw blade, it was hard to get the unions lined up afterwards so that they had a flush fit. So the segments are both under a bit of tension, which I hope doesn't bring issues later on.

But hey, no leaks! Thanks for the help.

IMG_20200816_181517.jpg

Reactions: magiteck
Here's a solution if you are looking to cut done on the number of fittings - you will see that the pump union has a slightly longer shaft which allows for the two unions to sit comfortably side-by-side without any additional fittings...........
The pump union is from Custom Molded Products #21063-154-000
The return union is from Praher #150-906
Hope this helps!

Attachments

• multiport unions.jpeg
    multiport unions.jpeg
    216.2 KB · Views: 10
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.