Unexpected foam on pool

grae

Jul 13, 2016
NEW STANTON, PA
Last week, my water was getting a little green (algae bloom). I shocked it (not SLAM). The next day i added initial algaecide treatment (HTH Algae Guard) I then swept it and tested and PH was 7.5, Alkalinity 100, FC 0.0 Added bleach to raise FC. (test strips) I have to add bleach every day since i can't use pucks. (can't buy them) All was good; chemistry was Dang near perfect; water was clear; kids were happy. Fast forward 1 week after multiple rainy days and "little green" is back. I figured a week later, algaecide treatment #2 (a much smaller dose than initial dose} Clean pool of storm debris. Go away come back later and the pool has a 1/2" of foam covering it. Checked the chemistry and PH is 7.5 and Alkalinity right around 100 FC 0.0. The next morning (today) foam was still there

Details left out: Pool: Above ground 18 ft Filter: Sand

Algaecide is not for killing algae, it is to prevent it and most do not work.. We never recommend using it unless closing the pool and then only using a good one like the link below.. they also have all kinds of stuff you do not want in your pool that can cause foaming...

FC at 0 you will need to SLAM Process the pool now... Once the FC is at SLAM level the foam may dissipate..

I believe it's the bleach. The only kind of bleach one can buy at Walmart/Lowes/Amazon is splash-less bleach. Slamming is not a viable option. All my bleach is splash less. And there is no way I will pay $20+a gallon for regular bleach. I believe the splash less has undisclosed chemicals with makes using bleach a bad option. ergo slamming just got extremely expensive. It may be the death knell for the pool

Ahh, if you used bleach with splashless or any other kind of additive that may be doing the foam... good catch Grae :)

Do you have any place that carries 10% liquid shock or anything with hypochlorite in it.. lowes, home depot, atwoods, janitor services sometimes sell to the public...

It looks like you have several Walmart’s in the general area. The one I checked online was out of stock for pool essentials liquid shock. That’s the one you want and they have it in the outdoors-y garden section with the pool stuffs. Call around and see if any of them still have it before taking the 20 min (?) drive.

or HDX chlorinating liquid at Home Depot, also in the garden section.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.