Brighton Mi
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Our pool is roughly two years old, and when I opened it in the spring, the underwater light fell out of the (plastic) wet niche. The brass / bronze mounting screw had corroded away. The instructions that came with the light state that the hardware must be replaced with the same type and size. I have no problem putting a brass screw back in the spot, but I'm wondering if the corrosion is a sign of something bad happening with the pool bonding system or some other issue. Or is two years about the lifespan of this screw in a SWG pool?

Why don"t post a couple of photos of the screw, mounting. along with the model and brand name. One of the TFP guides surely will have input.
My Hayward lamp/niche screw was replaced once in 20 years .
It sure wouldn't hurt to post what method you test with and recent test results.

I have a Taylor K-2006 kit. I have a sock full of CYA in the skimmer, I opened with 0 CYA and have been getting the other chemicals into balance first.

Did you ever get the screw situation resolved? From what I understand, Marine grade stainless steel 316 is what you want. I found online that sells it by the piece.

I ended up just replacing it with brass. My concern was that it was acting as an anode, causing to to deteriorate quickly. When the pool was built, I know the light and light bucket were joined to the bonding system, so I’m not really expecting a problem. I thought replacing in kind would be a safe choice for now, unless some other issue turns up.

Reactions: jgofnj
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.