Understanding Home Depot muriatic acid options

Jetjohn6

Sep 22, 2019
Las Vegas
I was reviewing the two different liquid acid options offered by Home Depot and noticed something that seems incorrect. Home Depot sells two options to my knowledge: A two pack of 1 gallon jugs, one offers 14.5% hydrogen chloride, the other offers 31.45% (per the labels).

Reading further down the label shows this on the 14.5% version: "This product contains 8.94 LBS of HCl per gallon"

The label for the 31.45% version reads: "This product contains 9.67 LBS of HCl per gallon"

Am I wrong for expecting the 31.45% version to have more than twice the amount of HCl compared to the 14.5% version? Is it worth buying the 31.45% version ($12.98) over the 14.5% version ($10.98) particularly when it's easier to source the 14.5% version?
AZ.jpgNV.jpg

I cannot answer the lbs of HCL part, but 31% and 14% are the standard strengths for muratic acid. Typically you want the 31% since it is twice as strong for a few dollars more. IMO, there is no need to pay a similar price for a watered down product, but I also understand that people can be more comfortable handling the watered down 14% version.

I cannot answer the lbs of HCL part, but 31% and 14% are the standard strengths for muratic acid. Typically you want the 31% since it is twice as strong for a few dollars more. IMO, there is no need to pay a similar price for a watered down product, but I also understand that people can be more comfortable handling the watered down 14% version.
That's been my thought all along. I have to go really out of my way to get the 31% version but it is a nice savings.

I'm confused by the note about 8.94 LBS of HCl per gallon. I think the language may just be confusing or misleading. I'll have to weigh a jug and see if that's actually the total weight.

Reactions: Newdude
So I honestly hadn't noticed that they sell 2 different strengths- I thought it was all 31.45%. Not sure why I thought that, but here we are. First thing when I get home, I'll be looking to see if strength is the reason that I seem to be adding more acid than usual.... Could easily be a Homer Simpson "D'OH!!!" moment.

Reactions: Sunnydaze
That's been my thought all along. I have to go really out of my way to get the 31% version but it is a nice savings.

I'm confused by the note about 8.94 LBS of HCl per gallon. I think the language may just be confusing or misleading. I'll have to weigh a jug and see if that's actually the total weight.

That has to be the weight of the total liquid solution. Water weighs about 8.34 pounds per gallon, so 9-10 pounds sounds and feels about right.

I think it's confusing because we talk about, and SWCGs specify, the "pounds of chlorine" that they generate (which I believe is the weight of the CL2 gas if it were captured as a pure gas). We map that to liquid chlorine available chlorine percentages to compare effects, but I think that's just us; the liquid chlorine bottles I've seen don't state that.

I'm sure there's a chemistry or regulatory explanation for why the HDX MA package gives the total solution weight while the HDX chlorinating liquid package doesn't...

So I honestly hadn't noticed that they sell 2 different strengths- I thought it was all 31.45%. Not sure why I thought that, but here we are. First thing when I get home, I'll be looking to see if strength is the reason that I seem to be adding more acid than usual.... Could easily be a Homer Simpson "D'OH!!!" moment.

From what I've seen, some Home Depots carry both strengths side by side, some only carry the 14.5%. Most of them around me carry both with the exception of a couple random stores, while in other regions even within California most/all stores only have the lower strength. No idea if it's marketing or local regulations that drive that.

From what I've seen, some Home Depots carry both strengths side by side, some only carry the 14.5%. Most of them around me carry both with the exception of a couple random stores, while in other regions even within California most/all stores only have the lower strength. No idea if it's marketing or local regulations that drive that.
I should have known better. I'm very aware acids come in all strengths. But somehow, I have never looked and now I feel like a dummy! LOL I'll chalk it up to the fact that Home Depot annoys me and I'm usually on a mission to get in and out of that place as fast as possible!

Local regs is as good of a guess as I can come up with.

And then the one we go to only had the 31%. Guess they could have been out of the other.

I should have known better. I'm very aware acids come in all strengths. But somehow, I have never looked and now I feel like a dummy! LOL I'll chalk it up to the fact that Home Depot annoys me and I'm usually on a mission to get in and out of that place as fast as possible!

Local regs is as good of a guess as I can come up with.
The jug I have is the 31%. I have to get some more this weekend, so you can be sure that I'm going to look more carefully!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.