Unbeatable mustard algae

Status
Not open for further replies.
it is hard to say now as you ended up with quite a mix in your water. I'd be very hard pressed to add anything besides chlorine if my own pool gets 'chlorine resistant algae' and would try to eliminate all other possibilities first.

After reading the linked thread I'm even more sure about this- while it was clearly stated as discussion thread and participants were simply brainstorming the particular problem of killing mustard algae at high CYA levels it was clear all of that is not readily applicable as 'common practice' and it is rather some corner case requiring a lot of prerequisites to be met. My reaction- make sure my pool remains 'common practice' and stay away from that corner.

In your case it seems replacing the water would take your pool(s) there as well.

I agree with max2k's assessment, nothing in that thread (from 6 years! ago, including folks who are not active on this board anymore) suggests a viable method of mustard algae elimination based on the primary principle that chem geek implies is important, i.e., get-in/get-out. Also, that thread mostly focuses on pools that have high CYA (greater than 90ppm) where using high shock levels of chlorine can be expensive/impractical. My take-away from that thread was this - with high CYA and mustard algae there is no option that does not have a serious downside, therefore draining and refilling to reduce CYA (and increase the effectiveness of chlorine) is the least-bad/least-permanent/least-harmful choice. Everything else in that thread simply leaves your pool with a mess to clean up later.

In general, there is no such thing as - "My mustard algae is unique and does not follow the normal laws of the universe!" There is no such thing as chlorine-resistant, unbeatable mustard algae. There is just mustard-algae. It's hard to eradicate because it contains beta-carotene (a powerful antioxidant that interferes with chlorine) and a cell wall structure that makes chlorine less effective. Mustard algae is a pain in the rear when it shows up and it requires a lot of focus and attention to eradicate it and keep it at bay. It is truly the case that an "ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

As others have suggested, draining, refilling and constant attention is your best approach at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.