Unable to prime pump during pool opening.

May 10, 2016
mississauga
Hi, I tried priming my pump but water doesnt suck from the main drain into the pump. I have a star right canister filter. The manual mentioned to open the air relief valve during start up. The pump works. I've tried to fill the pump basket with the main drain valve open and closed while slowing opening the valve, neither option worked. There are two main lines to the pump, one from the drain the other from the skimmer. The skimmer valve is closed since the water line is lower than the skimmer. The skimmer basket port has two holes. Both are unplugged. The first pic is my setup. The second pic is of a plastic plug that was left over. An identical plug was used to plug a pipe from the heater. Hope you can help this first timer.

Attachments

• 20200607_133428.jpg
    20200607_133428.jpg
    487.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200607_133522.jpg
    20200607_133522.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 11
Hi it's an inground pool. The water line in the pool is below the skimmer intake opening. So if I turned open the skimmer valve no water would travel to the pump.
How far below? If the water is more than a couple feet it's going to make it difficult for the pump to lift the water. The slightest air leak will ruin everything. Why are you trying to run the pump when the pool isn't full?

I've had the pool professionally opened before and they were able to start the pump with the water level 2 feet below the skimmer line and about a foot below the return jets. As water was being added to raise the level they told me to open the skimmer valve once water was high enough. In the meantime water was circulated via the main drain pipe.

Just to close this off in case there is a similar problem someone else may have. Issue resolved. That plug in the second photo belonged in the heater behind service plate. Which is why I couldnt find it.
I just got a new Raypak heater and the guy who installed the gas warned me about removing that plug when I winterized. Glad he did, I had no idea it was even there!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.