Umbrella Holder install in a new pool sunshelf...after completion?

LWJohnson1

May 7, 2021
Naples, Florida
I am new to the forum and just completed the build of a new in ground concrete/gunnite/Pebble Tec pool of about 10,000 gallons in Naples, FL. Looking at the pool after it was filled I noticed that the builder installed the light/bubbler on the sun shelf...but not the umbrella holder that is on the plan. So when I asked him, he said “oh we never install that until the end and will do it next week”. My question is will this do damage or harm the integrity of my new pool to somehow permanently install an umbrella sleeve now after the pool is full of water? I am assuming it is either bolted down or a hole is drilled into the concrete sunshelf for the umbrella pole, is this correct? Would you do it after the pool is full of water or am I missing something? Thanks for any responses!

Both of my shelf sleeves were inserted in the wet gunite as they are like 8" deep. Then the plaster was brought to the top of the sleeve so they are flush. I don't see how he would do this after the fact.

They didn't set my holder in the gunite, but the made a hole for the holder to be mounted into.. I guess they will use some adhesive or thinset to hold it in, and then the Pebblesheen will come in.

I think having the holder in place is the best option. I don't know if I would want the gunite drilled into. Of course I have holes in the side walls from the tile and coping guys inserting bars to hold their wooden planks to stand on. I'm not crazy about that.

Interesting thread. My new pool was just plastered and filled last week, and when I saw the Baja shelf, I noticed a capped hole that I hadn’t seen before, about 6” behind the bubbler. I guessed that maybe it was an umbrella sleeve, which I hadn’t specifically requested, but was happy to see none the less, but then it got me curious how it was installed, since it wasn’t there immediately after the gunite was installed. So I went back on my Ring floodlight camera video, and found where it showed up, a few days after the gunite. Three workers used a jackhammer like tool to make a hole in the gunite, then inserted the metal sleeve, and then poured new concrete around it. Came on this site to see if that’s normal, or if maybe they had forgotten to place it before or during the gunite phase. Still not sure, but at least OP’s builder seems to indicate this might not be too out of the ordinary. My concern is that the new concrete poured around the sleeve might be more susceptible to failing, if there’s any torque on the sleeve by the umbrella. Hopefully it will be ok!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.