Ultra temp 140,000 BTU with Chiller keeps turning on and off

John_and_Val

Gold Supporter
Mar 30, 2018
Sunrise/FL
@MyAZPool
@bdavis466
I have my Ultratemp 140,000 btu w/chiller hooked up hooked up and talking to my intellicenter. via rs-485
The "chiller" setting is set at 88 and the heater setting is set at 78.
It seems that around the chiller set point (88 degres) the unit (just the fan) will cycle on and off - on and off - on and off
a bunch of times before it runs continuously....and it functions fine (chills.....I feel cold water coming out of returns).
I see in the settings for the ultratemp a setting for "differential setting" (which is set at 5) and "Boost setting"
(which is set at 0)
I am not sure what these functions do or play a part in what is happening

Any ideas on why?

@MyAZPool
@bdavis466
I have my Ultratemp 140,000 btu w/chiller hooked up hooked up and talking to my intellicenter. via rs-485
The "chiller" setting is set at 88 and the heater setting is set at 78.
It seems that around the chiller set point (88 degres) the unit (just the fan) will cycle on and off - on and off - on and off
a bunch of times before it runs continuously....and it functions fine (chills.....I feel cold water coming out of returns).
I see in the settings for the ultratemp a setting for "differential setting" (which is set at 5) and "Boost setting"
(which is set at 0)
I am not sure what these functions do or play a part in what is happening

Any ideas on why?
Hi John_and_Val
Good to hear from you. Sorry, but I got nothing in this case. I have no experience with the ultra-temp so unfortunately I can't be of much help. I'm sure you have scoured the manual in search of a resolution. Hopefully @bdavis466 might have a suggestion for you or maybe another member who is experienced with the Ultra-Temp.
I hope the other issues and bugs that you were experiencing at first are working themselves out as well.
Please take care and other than some of these pesky anomalies that I'm sure will get worked out, I hope you and the family are enjoying that incredible addition to your backyard.
r.

As per the manual, “After the water pressure switch is activated there is a one minute temperature sensing delay then if there is a call for heat or cool the fan will turn on and there will be an additional 5 minute delay for the compressor to start. Be sure that there is water in the pool and that the surface level is above the skimmer or other inlets of the pool’s filter system.”

Since you have a variable speed pump, what speed is it running at? Could it be possible that it is bouncing the pressure switch causing the fan to cycle?

Reactions: MyAZPool
When in "cooling" mode - I have the pump running at 30 gpm - plenty of flow going through system. Now I have talked to Pentair @MyAZPool - and they are now aware of the issue.....
The issue is this - the "differential" setting in the programming is only for the heater portion of the ultratemp! They did not program it in for the chiller portion.

So I am stuck with having to figure out how to set a schedule up in the intellicenter that will run the chiller mode without having it cycle on and off at the set point.

Any ideas???

When in "cooling" mode - I have the pump running at 30 gpm - plenty of flow going through system. Now I have talked to Pentair @MyAZPool - and they are now aware of the issue.....
The issue is this - the "differential" setting in the programming is only for the heater portion of the ultratemp! They did not program it in for the chiller portion.

So I am stuck with having to figure out how to set a schedule up in the intellicenter that will run the chiller mode without having it cycle on and off at the set point.

Any ideas???
Hi John,
What about re-adjusting the Differential Temp to the maximum of 9 degrees on the Ultra-Temp? I'm just curious what would happen. When I experimented with my own Web-Client, I see that you can set a temp (I assume this is a differential) of 12 degrees (see attached photos).
As far as setting up a schedule to run the chiller mode, I do see that you can schedule which heat mode to use and to also change the heat set point if necessary. What would happen if you added two (2) ultra-temps (using the same address). UltraTemp 1 and UltraTemp 2 (as per my attachment) One set at one particular differential and another set at another differential?
Then you could maybe create two different FEATURE CIRCUITS (for each UltraTemp) and then schedule those FEATURE CIRCUITS accordingly?

I'm just trying to think "out of the box" to see if we can trick your system to do what you want it to do. Thoughts? Time to experiment with come different things to see what happens?
TIP: Just in case you end up confusing your IntelliCenter too much and it "hangs", please insure that you have an up-to-date config file saved to your USB Flash (thumb) drive, so you can reload if something gets discombobulated.
r.

Hi John
UPDATE: Pentair actually sent me a link with a software upgrade claiming to fix the problem......I haven't had the chance to install it. I will do it tomorrow. I will post results once I have them.
Outstanding. Please keep us posted regarding this possible fix and please check PM.

Thanks for all the input!
You are very welcome sir. Wishing you and the family an awesome 4th.
r.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.