Ultima T.K.O. to shock a saltwater pool?

I never shut it off. I'm presently running it at 60%. Previously, it was 40%, but then I did a pool party and refilled quite a bit so I'm guessing I lost enough chlorine that my levels dropped just long enough for the algae to kick in. I'm pretty OCD about my pool and keeping it clean, clear and comfy. pH is always between 7.5-7.7. FC is always around 5-6, but recently my CYA was a bit low so I added 2 lbs to bring the level back up and that is precisely when I noticed the small bit of algae.

So you run the SWG at 60% 24/7, or only when the pump is running?

One of the smarter members can calculate how much chlorine you produce based on run time, but in general the IC40 will produce enough chlorine for a 40,000 gallon pool assuming you run it at 100% 24 hours a day.

Since yours is 26,000 gallons, you would need to run it roughly 24/7 at 60% to keep up, 80% or 100% if you dont run the pump 24/7. This is where the super accurate testing comes into play, but we can tackle that next year.

Reactions: ajup2it
I run the pump 24/7. Yeah I can't wait to delve into the test kit for next year. Of the options available for purchase for the kit, what else besides the kit itself do you (or anyone else here) recommend?

There's some bundles at TFTestkits.net with some cool stuff like the Wall Whale brush, if you're looking for those things anyway. Check out the site for the bundle options. The one thing most people swear by though is the Speedstir. I finally got one this year and it's pretty darn cool. I always swirled manually and was fine with that but I had the $35 gift certificate when I got my Gold Supporter this year (my lifetime supporter felt a little outdated since it wasn't even available anymore) so I used that to get a Speedstir.

Since you're probably going to need to SLAM when you open next year, I'd also suggest getting the XL Option since you'll go through those reagents pretty fast with a SLAM.

Reactions: ajup2it
Reading the thread and then rereading the thread I would agree you got a very stiff response and it doesn't feel good.

Sounds like your pool is mostly clear? If so you should be able to limp along and keep it clear.

1 lb of 73% cal hypo adds 3.2 fc, 2.3 ch, and 3.3 salt. Feel free to use it to boost your fc and/or your ch as needed. Be aware that cal hypo does cloud up the pool and you do need to add it correctly. Typically all instructions on products are trash, I think there is a section at pool school for adding chemicals.

Trouble free pool care is about knowing what you are adding, hence we only buy products by the ingredients section, and not the brand name, and tfpc is also about knowing exactly what your pool needs.

Your guess strips and the most likey don't care pool store will lead you on circles adding this and that, we have seen it do many times there's just no advice to be given on it. It's a sad truth. This is why you got the response you did, people just want to help.

Go ahead and finish out the year on your pool, I'd probably add the cal hypo and turn up the swg, if you have more than 30 cya in the pool 10-15 fc clorine is a safe bet. If you have done your pool for awhile and the strip results sound reasonable it should be fine.

When you get your kit, post up the test results and we can give the best advice on what your pool needs and save you a ton of money and keep your pool on track.

Reactions: JoeSelf and ajup2it
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.