Ugh Found a dead rat in my strainer...

I've decided my pool needs a billboard with small animal drawings on it that gets updated every thing something dies in my pool, similar to fighter planes having a 'kill count' of splashed enemy planes painted on their sides. Maybe it would make the critters think twice?

A few weeks ago I had a squirrel drown in my pool. I've had a few dead birds, one entire bird's nest clogging a skimmer, a dead rat, numerous mice and toads, a turtle (still alive), a huge bullfrog (still alive and surprisingly quick!)...the list grows on a regular basis.

Each time I discover something dead in the pool I usually dump in an extra gallon of bleach, even if my FC is in good shape. It's cheap insurance.

I scoff at your small dead rodents. My previous homeowner found a live rattlesnake in the skimmer once. I found one lounging lazily at the side of the pool once. I was swimming in the pool at the time.

Hi,

I never find anything exciting, but sometimes a dead mouse , frog or something sitting in the bottom of the pool. Often these black two inch worm things that disintegrate when I brush.

I notice that people say they 'shock' when they find a dead animal, what is meant by that? I have done many SLAMs , but I do not know specifically what a 'shock ' is.

Do I need to do it for a dead mouse in pool (I never have, I just scoop it out , throw in trash and jump right in ). If so, how do you do it? thx

:puker:

They mean that they dose liquid chlorine up to SLAM level for their CYA. Just to feel better about the carcass in their water. Ugh.

But if pool is properly maintained then normal FC should take care of any yuck. I think I would still do SLAM for a day or so. Thinking about getting in dead vermin water gives me the heebies.

:puker:

They mean that they dose liquid chlorine up to SLAM level for their CYA. Just to feel better about the carcass in their water. Ugh.

But if pool is properly maintained then normal FC should take care of any yuck. I think I would still do SLAM for a day or so. Thinking about getting in dead vermin water gives me the heebies.

LMAO, my 6 year old daughter is usually the one to spot them at the bottom of the pool while she is swimming. "daddy, there is a dead mouse, want me to dive down and get it ?" lol.

I have not seen an impact on FC because of animals , so I guess I just see it as irrelevant .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.