Jun 18, 2021
Baldwin Park, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Newbie here, please help.
My above ground pool started to develop algae two weeks ago and I have been adding different chemicals as recommended by pool stores. The cloudiness continues. Most mornings I see some algae at the bottom when I brush the pool and the water continues to be cloudy. Also, I’m testing the water daily and the numbers are all over the place, except for normal. When I backwash, one or two times a day, and the water comes out cloudy and sometimes a little greenish. Now I’m starting to see ashes from the California fire. Should I use the solar cover even the numbers are crazy? I’m at lost 😢 and I don’t know what to do next. Today the Chlorox 6-Way test stripsresults are as follow:
Total hardness 600
Total chlorine: 10
Free Chlorine: 5
Ph: 8.0
Total alkalinity 160
Stabilizer: 100
I would really appreciate your advise.
TIA, Rosa

welcome to tfp
unfortunately test strips are inaccurate and inconsistent, as you can see from your pool math log to todays readings
so the first thing is a quality test kit
taylor k2006c or tf100xl
liquid chlorine is your friend in the meantime
if your cya is indeed 100 or probably higher, then you will be draining a lot of water
i am assuming you have been using tri-chlor to chlorinate your pool
we all came here with pools in the same condition
tfp solved all of our problems and saved a lot of $$$ too

Reactions: Rayala
welcome to tfp
unfortunately test strips are inaccurate and inconsistent, as you can see from your pool math log to todays readings
so the first thing is a quality test kit
taylor k2006c or tf100xl
liquid chlorine is your friend in the meantime
if your cya is indeed 100 or probably higher, then you will be draining a lot of water
i am assuming you have been using tri-chlor to chlorinate your pool
we all came here with pools in the same condition
tfp solved all of our problems and saved a lot of $$$ too
Thanks fir your response. When can I get the tests kit ASAP?

To be safe I’m going to order those tests since I’d like to keep my pool open all year long. Meanwhile, assuming my CYA is normal, should I start by lowering the ph then add liquid chlorine?

they all generally posts next day
the tf100xl is the goto in usa, consider the speedstir too it makes testing much easier
i am a cheapskate so dont have one yet
To be safe I’m going to order those tests since I’d like to keep my pool open all year long. Meanwhile, assuming my CYA is normal, should I start by lowering the ph then add liquid chlorine?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
generally a holding pattern for a problem pool is add 1/4 gallon liquid chlorine each day until reliable test results
i would be reluctant to offer advice based on a test strip
My pool is clear now, yeah!!! Thanks for your advise. I added liquid chlorine as you told me. I also received today the TF 100. I just tested my water and according to the app I just needed to lower the oh and the extra chlorine will go away with the sun. The algae was a learning experience 😅. This group is awesome. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.