Two week cloud

Holy cow that filter is TINY! That pool isn't that much smaller than mine, but I'm on a 600#. My recommendation would be to go to a 600 lb like I have. Honestly. You/he/she will love the 600# filter on that pool. I hardly ever have to backwash, and my water is clear as can be. The other good thing is that sand filters are relatively cheap, and sand is very cheap. When it was time to replace mine (I went with the same as what was already here, but it was 25+ years old) I got lazy and had a pool company do it, and it was still under $700 for the filter, sand, and labor. I could have easily done it myself, it was no harder to install than my SWCG, which I did myself. I watched the install. Glad I didn't have to shovel out all the sand out of the old filter, but I certainly could have done it.

No problem, sometimes as we jump around from thread to thread I loose track, especially when the pool in question isn't the equipment in the ops sig.

As we/I have said before that filter is small and that pump large for it. If you are still sure it is not channeled, and you are running DE, you will just have to filter filter filter, unless you want to try a clarifier.

One other thing you could try, but you have to be careful with this, is to reduce the flow through the filter just a little by partial closing a valve on the vacuum side of the pump (if you have one). You do not want to starve the pump too much and cause it to loose prime or surge. The idea is to partial reduce the flow rate, which should allow the filter to filter better.

I am stuck waiting. Unfortunately no valve on the vacuum side of the plumbing. Also I took the skimmer sock off because I noticed that when it gets dirty the pressure on the filter gauge decreases by 1-2#. So I figured the increase in pressure wanted by putting the DE in there might be negated by a sock, thus not helping the sand catch the smaller particles. It is getting a little better each day but it is just frustrating seeing such small improvements. :evil:

Johnny-M said:
I am stuck waiting. Unfortunately no valve on the vacuum side of the plumbing. Also I took the skimmer sock off because I noticed that when it gets dirty the pressure on the filter gauge decreases by 1-2#. So I figured the increase in pressure wanted by putting the DE in there might be negated by a sock, thus not helping the sand catch the smaller particles. It is getting a little better each day but it is just frustrating seeing such small improvements. :evil:
I think I would keep using the skimmer sock, since the 1-2 decrease is probably a good thing because it is also slowing the flow through your sand filter. It is not the increase of pressure that is "wanted" but the small, "sharper edges" of the DE that is. It catches more stuff, so running a lower flow will also help the DE be more efficient. The pressure increase is just a guideline to indicate how much to put in. If you put too much DE in, you will have to backwash sooner than practical and/or you will get too little flow through the system.

Well looking at some of the other topics I forgot to complete this one. About a week ago the pool became crystal clear, my neighbor doesn't think I am as nuts now. It upsets me because it is better than my pool now! Can you be jealous of your own work.

Johnny-M said:
Well looking at some of the other topics I forgot to complete this one. About a week ago the pool became crystal clear, my neighbor doesn't think I am as nuts now. It upsets me because it is better than my pool now! Can you be jealous of your own work.

Yup. It happened to me last week. A good friend of mine is buying a house close to me. He lives in Oregon and won't be moving for a couple of months or more so he asked me to clean and fill the pool (14000 gallon inground plaster). I did and it looked absolutely wonderful. Made my pool look grungy in comparison so I did a few things to my pool and now we both have sparkling pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.