Tub surface degrading?!?

GuitarGerber

Jul 13, 2019
Wimberley, Texas
We’ve had a Aquarest 600 fiberglass tub we got off Wayfair for about 2 years now. This past summer, we weren’t using it, and the chemistry got really out of whack. Ph of somewhere off the charts (maybe 10 or higher?), chlorine levels also ridiculous likely 35 or higher. I’ve since done a half water change (we’re 100% rainwater and were in the middle of terrible drought, now ok), and all levels are looking good. Ph is 7.8, TA is 60, Chlorine at 4ppm, CYA is 35. Only thing off is Calcium Hardness at 100. After getting in yesterday after 6 weeks of water balancing and electrical issues getting resolved, when we got out, our butts and legs are itchy. Anything that touched the surface of the tub itches like fiberglass. Could the water chemistry have caused a delaminating of the tub surface? Can I resurface it somehow? Please help! Thanks!

Could the water chemistry have caused a delaminating of the tub surface?
Certainly the gelcoat may have oxidized. It may have developed a faded/off-white chalky appearance. As for delamination .. not sure for such a relatively new tub. :scratch: Even though your chemical levels appear to be in better shape now, you may have other issue (chemically) going on. Based on the history of the tub, I would start with an Ahh-Some purge and 100% refill before assuming the worst with the gelcoat.

Reactions: Mdragger88
We’ve had a Aquarest 600 fiberglass tub we got off Wayfair for about 2 years now. This past summer, we weren’t using it, and the chemistry got really out of whack. Ph of somewhere off the charts (maybe 10 or higher?), chlorine levels also ridiculous likely 35 or higher. I’ve since done a half water change (we’re 100% rainwater and were in the middle of terrible drought, now ok), and all levels are looking good. Ph is 7.8, TA is 60, Chlorine at 4ppm, CYA is 35. Only thing off is Calcium Hardness at 100. After getting in yesterday after 6 weeks of water balancing and electrical issues getting resolved, when we got out, our butts and legs are itchy. Anything that touched the surface of the tub itches like fiberglass. Could the water chemistry have caused a delaminating of the tub surface? Can I resurface it somehow? Please help! Thanks!
You should test both the FC and CC. Perhaps you have a tub load of chloramines.

Reactions: Methuselah
Your minimum fc sb 3 if your cya reading is accurate. My 515 gallon tub uses up 5 ppm per bather-hour, sounds like you need to pick a higher fc level so by the time you get out it's at minimum plus a reasonable buffer.

Analyzing further would have to take a lot into account, how many people, how long, any body lotions, hairspray, shower before getting in, etc. Easier to just bump fc and measure before and after. Hard part now (at least for me) is trusting getting in after getting bit. I stayed out for weeks while dealing with a similar issue...

I'm no expert, so this is just my $.02.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.