Trying to help, from a distance, an intex owner.

cfclay

Apr 24, 2010
Lexington,Ky
He has a 15’ round pool. He opened it and is telling me he’s putting in those small 1” tricolor tablets from HTH. I’m trying to get him to return the unopened ones and go chlorine. Thing is, he has used some chlorine (10%) in addition to the tablets every other day and has NO Chlorine or CYA. If he has used let’s say 10 tablets over 2 weeks- shouldn’t there be some CYA? It’s my understanding there is little swimming going on. I know they cover the pool, which I didn’t see the need to do that.
FC-0
Cc-0
CYA-0
TA-170
PH- 7.2

4000 gallons. I told him to secure 22 oz of CYA, and then 12 hours later 20 oz of 10% chlorine.

I am a little concerned to recommend stabilizer to someone who is using trichlor- but I tested everything and found no CYA. Any thoughts why?

He has a 15’ round pool. He opened it and is telling me he’s putting in those small 1” tricolor tablets from HTH. I’m trying to get him to return the unopened ones and go chlorine. Thing is, he has used some chlorine (10%) in addition to the tablets every other day and has NO Chlorine or CYA. If he has used let’s say 10 tablets over 2 weeks- shouldn’t there be some CYA? It’s my understanding there is little swimming going on. I know they cover the pool, which I didn’t see the need to do that.
FC-0
Cc-0
CYA-0
TA-170
PH- 7.2

4000 gallons. I told him to secure 22 oz of CYA, and then 12 hours later 20 oz of 10% chlorine.

I am a little concerned to recommend stabilizer to someone who is using trichlor- but I tested everything and found no CYA. Any thoughts why?

From what i can tell, those 1" tablets are half an ounce. 10 of them would add only 5ppm of cya which is immeasurable.

Reactions: Mdragger88
From what i can tell, those 1" tablets are half an ounce. 10 of them would add only 5ppm of cya which is immeasurable.
Thanks @Sunnydaze . Says he has put in 10 total in maybe two weeks. Wouldn't you think he would at least have 20 or so CYA? Can we support, if one already owns the product, adding enough tablets to raise the CYA to 50 or 60? That would be 10 tablets or so at once. Actually, I just found some data that says 1/2 ounce will only raise it by .9 ppm. Is that right? Sorry I don't have too many issues or don't pay attention when I do. As I recall, trichlor is the more friendly option compared to it's cousin dichlor which would raise it a lot more correct?

Attachments

• B242EE56-45BB-4907-8AA2-F17A38FD92F7.jpeg
    B242EE56-45BB-4907-8AA2-F17A38FD92F7.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Wouldn't you think he would at least have 20 or so CYA
20 and below is eye fooling and may or may not show. It could be there and not seen, or it could be ammonia eating the CYA and FC almost instantly.

To test for ammonia, add to 10ppm FC and test 10 minutes later to see if it held. If the FC is mostly gone in 10 mins, you repeat at 10 mins until the 10 FC holds. (Possibly many times) Then you add CYA to 30 and SLAM Process. If algae isn't a secondary issue, the SLAM is over quick. If algae was an issue, it needs a full SLAM. Either way FC/CYA Levels needs to be closely followed thereafter.

20 and below is eye fooling and may or may not show. It could be there and not seen, or it could be ammonia eating the CYA and FC almost instantly.

To test for ammonia, add to 10ppm FC and test 10 minutes later to see if it held. If the FC is mostly gone in 10 mins, you repeat at 10 mins until the 10 FC holds. (Possibly many times) Then you add CYA to 30 and SLAM Process. If algae isn't a secondary issue, the SLAM is over quick. If algae was an issue, it needs a full SLAM. Either way FC/CYA Levels needs to be closely followed thereafter.
Thanks @Newdude , see my edit :). If he's using trichlor, and only about 10 pucks on this fill- he probably has next to no CYA- only about 8 ppm.

If he's using trichlor, and only about 10 pucks on this fill- he probably has next to no CYA- only about 8 ppm.
Ok, then it's likely just really low. Add to 30 CYA however it makes more sense and go from there. Keep the FC up in the meantime as the sun will eat it in an hour or two until the CYA is mixed around/dissolved.

There is nothing wrong with pucks, powdered shock, etc if you know where you are and what they will do to your levels. We frown on repeated use without care because it doesn't end well that way for one's CYA or CH.

How is he testing? If he's using test strips or the pool store, his numbers are completely unreliable anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.