Trying not to freak out, new Pool App v502 missing all of my logged entries and notes!!!!

brian163

Gold Supporter
May 27, 2012
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I opened the app this morning to log my daily test results and saw the new format of the Overview screen as sort of a list (instead of square boxes). I'm like ok, that's different. But when I clicked on the Timeline, ALL OF MY LOGGED ENTRIES and NOTES EXCEPT THE LAST ONE I ENTERED YESTERDAY ARE NOT SHOWING. As in, MISSING! :eek:

PLEASE, PLEASE? tell me I'm overlooking something. Losing the historical view on the test results is on thing but I already had dozen important notes outside of result logging after starting a new pool configuration set after having my liner replaced a few weeks ago. And I know something is wrong because I also "Switch(ed) Pools" to the pool (config set) I was running last year and the TIMELINE IS EMPTY. It literally says "Looks like you haven't added any logs yet... Start a new log".

If I go to Free Chlorine in Overview mode details, for example, I see "3.0 ppm 3 days ago", "Current CYA 75ppm 5 days ago". That gives me a spark of hope that this is just a timeline display bug. But since there is no way to revert versions on iOS, I'll just be breathing into a paper bag until an expert can weigh in here. o_O @Leebo @Newdude

I know this may not get fixed right away (at minimum until a new version could be pushed). So an important question is can I safely continue to add entries to the app now? I don't want to do something that could potentially jeopardize recovery my existing history. But I'm relying on the app calculations to balance my new water.

Are you on Android or iOS? As @Newdude suggested, log out and back in, and PM me your account id if that still isn't working....

The app tries to keep you logged in from the old version and it seems like maybe sometimes it's not sync'ing properly after that, but it should if you logout and login again.. I'm pretty confident there's no issues with your data being actually, but having your account ID would help see what's going on if there turns out to be any issues there.

Are you on Android or iOS? As @Newdude suggested, log out and back in, and PM me your account id if that still isn't working....

The app tries to keep you logged in from the old version and it seems like maybe sometimes it's not sync'ing properly after that, but it should if you logout and login again.. I'm pretty confident there's no issues with your data being actually, but having your account ID would help see what's going on if there turns out to be any issues there.
I replied to the email I sent to the poolmath address. (Didn't mean to create duality here, I was just following someone's previous advice to send a message.)

I'm otherwise fine continuing the discussion here. Thanks

Edit: And I'm on iOS. I'm going to logout and back in and report back. I'm not sure how to clear the cache as @Newdude suggested.

So I logged out and back in and that didn't do the trick. However, I then discovered a completely different oddity with the logout process that I will get back to later. I'm going to try and delete the app and reinstall, as that is the only way I know to clear out an app's individual config files/cache on iOS. (I can't clear my browser cache for other reasons.)

Ok, first I'm going to put the paper bag down because I'm getting somewhere. :laughblue:

However, some really weird stuff is happening here so I'm going to record it here for further assessement:

1) Logged out of app. Was shown login prompt. If I force quit the app on that screen, when I start the app back up I AM LOGGED IN. Not sure how that is possible but obviously shouldn't really be the case (even if just from a "security" one in a sense.)

so then I...

1) Deleted the app. On iOS that should clear all of an app's data.(You get a warning as such.) I said proceed, and it asked me if I wanted to keep my subscription. (Yes)
2) Reinstalled app from the Apple App store. Upon launch I WAS ALREADY LOGGED IN. (Um, what??)
3) I went to switch pool (config set) and it brought back to the login screen. Um, ok. So I logged in.
4) It loaded my current pool (config set) and the timeline entries were back, YAY! :cheers:
5) Switched pools (config set) back to my old one, entries were also there.

So clearly something is going on with a) the login/logout process b) the app sync'ing. Is there some way you could allow the user to force a sync, maybe a special button in the About section (where delete account request is also found, etc.)

Reactions: Newdude
4) It loaded my current pool (config set) and the timeline entries were back, YAY! :cheers:
5) Switched pools (config set) back to my old one, entries were also there.
First and foremost……this is perfect! Not sure yet what’s occurring with the sync, but getting things running is a start. We’re looking now at what’s occurring behind the scenes. 👍

Thanks for working with us
Lee

The login state is saved to your iCloud profile. Version 502 had a bug where it didn't properly clear out the login state from the previous old version of the app when it migrated that login state to the new version. Version 503 was submitted and began rolling out which would properly clear that out but only after one more logout. Yes it is a bit odd of a bug, but that login state is only linked to your iCloud account ever and is encrypted within Apple's secure storage on the device.

Now, uninstalling the app doesn't clear out that iCloud state, so that is why when you reinstalled the app the login state was still there. There is a preference in Settings -> Pool Math called "Reset App Cache" that you can enable, and once you start the app again fresh (you'd have to swipe it closed first or reboot your phone), it will explicitly clear out the iCloud state if you're at all concerned about it remaining there.

The only thing I'm still trying to piece together is why it didn't synchronize your data properly the first time you launched the new version of the app and it migrated your login state from the old version.

Reactions: brian163

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support