troubleshooting pump not wanting to start

May 8, 2018
Winder, GA
To preface I am in the middle of a SLAM.
So I was backflowing my sand filter earlier today and turned the pump off before manipulating the valve as normal, tuned it on, did the backflow, turned it off, set to the one that pushes sand back down, and tried turning it back on. It just hummed at me (buzzing sound no water flow).
I go to the interwebs and it says probably a capacitor. I pull out the capacitor and find you can't get them locally. I then find a voltmeter and test the capacitor and it passes continuity and growing resistance checks (i dont have a micro farad setting on my voltmeter). I then try an old well pump capacitor that has similar ratings, no dice.
I have also tested that i can turn the shaft on the back of the motor and it turns.
Desperate, cause i'm going to be gone for the weekend I take a cordless drill with a flat bit and spin the pump using that while turning it on slow speed. It starts to slow down as i take the drill away and then comes up to speed. I then flip it to fast speed real quick (dosent really have time to slow down) and it comes up to speed (on fast setting).

3 questions
Is the capacitor bad?
If that is the case, would that mean i cant cut the pump off till i get a new one?
Finally, how do i backflow the sand filter if i cant turn the pump off when shifting the valve?

We have the same pump. It has two caps (start & run), so I suspect one or both are going bad. I ordered mine off Amazon Prime. They're not too expensive and you might get them before you leave. In the meantime, while you can't do the SLAM as-is, I would continue to add some chlorine each day and brush around so you don't loose too much progress. Just leave the filter on recirculate for now.

so, got the new caps in and went to go try, pump turned off and back on just fine (edit without replacing cap). Figure I've got caps waiting now, and if new one doesn't fix, then I'll try looking more into the centrifugal switch thing.

Side note, that pool store you posted a pic of.... called them.... they said AND I QUOTE "we don't replace capacitors, we replace motors" and no we don't carry them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.