RESOLVED! Troubleshooting Hayward H200FDP Heater

Maybe this will help, maybe not. We just had the same heater, but 250K, that wouldn't fire up. Replaced literally everything on it before we finally figure out the gas valve was bad (this happens when you have a new tech). But, after we swapped out the valve, the "old" inlet pressure of 10 wasn't enough to light with the new valve. We bumped the pressure up to 13 (the proper range is 10-13) and it has been working fine ever since. I guess the point is, sometimes you can have an issue small enough that won't allow the heater to work properly, even "within range". Try changing inlet pressure to the higher side of the range. I'M NOT SUGGESTING YOU GO OUTSIDE OF THAT RANGE!

Thanks Reno, I had toyed with that idea in my head. I’ll give it a shot tomorrow. Nothing to lose I suppose.

I put the test gauge on both the inlet and manifold gas ports. I’m getting zero on the manifold side when the valve opens. The readings on the inlet side are as shown in this video. You can see what happens when the valve opens and closes. Is this normal?

I know everyone has been on the edge of their seats all summer waiting to see how this turned out, so I thought I would post a quick epilogue. :laughblue:

After exhausting every known hack, I called in a pool guy to take a look. He determined I needed a new gas valve and wanted nearly $500 to put one in. Since I had already put a new one in myself, I said thanks, but no thanks.

So I went the entire summer without a working heater, until this morning.

I went back and re-read everything that had been posted in this thread and realized that I had misinterpreted what @CPS Reno had posted about inlet pressure. I looked up what I could find about the pressure regulator the propane company placed on my line and found that it is indeed adjustable. I put a couple of turns on the adjustment screw and I’ll be danged if the heater didn’t immediately spring to life. This was SO SIMPLE!!

I have no idea why it needed to be adjusted in the first place, but who cares at this point. We’re swimming this weekend!!!!

Thanks to all who provided ideas and input. This forum continues to deliver.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.