Troubleshooting a Leak

slgbm531

Jun 11, 2020
Ne Brunswick, New Jersey
Hello Friends,
I need your help...I have a leak. I’m losing about 5 inches of water. I’ve tested the multi port, the drain, the returns and based on my observations it has to have something to do with my sump pump and ground water. Is this possible? The water stops at the skimmer, above all the returns and when the pump is on it blows large bubbles. I’m not sure if it’s a skimmer problem or a below ground pipe issue. Any ideas? Thank you!

Check around the outlet at the bottom of your skimmer. Freeze cycles can cause the pipe to heave and create a crack around the hole. Inject some leak dye (pump off) all around the inside of your skimmer and see if it pulls to one spot. If that's not it, I'd try a pressure test on the skimmer lines.

Remember that the level at which the water appears to stop leaking doesn't always mean that's the level where the leak is. The leak won't be at a higher level, but can be at a lower level. Once the level of water outside of your pool (from the leak) matches the level of the water in your pool, your pool and ground water will be in equilibrium and your pool will seem to stop leaking.

Good luck!

Thank you for your reply! I notice that the more my sump pump runs the more water I lose from the pool. Does this mean the lines are somehow tied together? I don't notice any damp or waterlogged areas anywhere in my yard, so I think the problem is underground. I will dye test the skimmer and returns as you suggest. Will a small crack account for 5-6 inches of water overnight?

Sorry, just noticed that your signature line says you have a fiberglass pool so I understand the sump pump. With a fiberglass pool, you don't want water accumulating outside of the pool since the shell will float if enough accumulates. The sump pump is there to pump off any excess water so that doesn't happen.

You said the pool loses more water when the sump is on. That makes sense. The pump is making more room around the pool for water in your pool to leak into. When you turn off the pump, and enough water leaks out of the pool into the surrounding soil, the inside and outside will eventually reach equilibrium and the leak will appear to stop. Think of the ground as a giant sponge. Once it is saturated, it can't accept any more water from the pool. Your sump pump is keeping it from getting saturated, so the pool keeps trying to "fill it up."

So, when you do your dye test, do it with the sump running so you know you're not in the state of equilibrium as I described above.

Also, be sure to dye check around your light niche. The conduit connection in the back is a common place for a leak to develop. If you can, remove the light and shoot some dye close to where the wire enters in the back.

Hang in there. Leaks are frustrating but you'll eventually find it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.