Tricks for cleaning the pump strainer basket?

Steve-D

Bronze Supporter
Jul 10, 2020
SW Boston Suburbs
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
What tricks do you folks use when you need to clean the pump strainer basket?

I just checked mine and it was riddled with pine needles throughout. By the time I had it clean enough to put back in place much of the water had drained from the filter and it took a repeated , extended effort to get the pump primed and running again. I'm thinking a spare basket would help, and maybe closing off the inlet valves as much as they can (can only close of 1 of 2 skimmers and then the bottom drain).

What do others do to make this less of an ordeal? This will be our first full start-to finish season and I don't remember having this much trouble last year...only having had to do it 1x.

I 've read here about "skimmer socks" also. Are there any recommendations or specific products to avoid?

Skimmer socks are great products to help cut down on junk getting to the pump pot. Highly recommended. That said, stuff can sometimes sneak through, especially when vacuuming. I close all pad valves, open the lid, take the strainer somewhere that I can tap it on a flat surface, and reinstall. I try to keep the process simple. Some pool plumbing set ups might make it a little trickier.

FYI: you can unscrew the thumb-screw on the valve and lift it to be able to close it off all the way.

I just hose off my basket it never takes more than a few minutes.

I just checked mine and it was riddled with pine needles throughout. By the time I had it clean enough to put back in place much of the water had drained from the filter and it took a repeated , extended effort to get the pump primed and running again. I'm thinking a spare basket would help, and maybe closing off the inlet valves as much as they can (can only close of 1 of 2 skimmers and then the bottom drain).

In my system, there's a valve in front of the pump (between it and the skimmer/main drain) and another valve between the pump and the filter. I close both, so no water drains out of the pool or out of the filter (although water does drain from the pipes between those valves and the pump).

When I'm done, I try to remember to reopen both valves before starting the pump. After starting the pump, I open the air relief at the top of the filter and leave it open until water starts to shoot out.

I 've read here about "skimmer socks" also. Are there any recommendations or specific products to avoid?

They're for your skimmer basket, not your pump strainer basket. Use bonded polypropylene hairnets; they work better than any fabric pool-store sock, and they only cost 5 or 10 cents each. They're cheap enough that I just dispose of the old one and replace it with a new one every day or two. These fit my skimmer basket very well: Disposable Caps Hair Nets, Salon Spa Food Service 100 Pack 21" White

I take the basket out and put the lid right back on. Then I have lots of time to go bang the basket on a hard surface. I hose whatever doesn't pound out.

Reactions: proavia
I have an above ground so not sure if that matters, I shut pump off, close the valves from skimmer side and return side. Open pump lid no water empties this way.

Dump and hose off the pump basket please back in and usually primes right back up.

Pine trees are definitely one of the worst trees around a pool. It’s a constant battle. In the fall and on windy days you’ll be dealing with it constantly. If you can cut the tree down that’s the real solve.

I had a pine tree that died right near my pool and it sucked dealing with all those needles. I had it taken down and it’s been much better.

The cherry tree is now my enemy. Every week it’s dumping something new into my pool. It’s on my neighbors side or it would be gone already. I hate that tree!

FYI: you can unscrew the thumb-screw on the valve and lift it to be able to close it off all the way.
They're for your skimmer basket, not your pump strainer basket. Use bonded polypropylene hairnets; they work better than any fabric pool-store sock, and they only cost 5 or 10 cents each. They're cheap enough that I just dispose of the old one and replace it with a new one every day or two. These fit my skimmer basket very well: Disposable Caps Hair Nets, Salon Spa Food Service 100 Pack 21" White

Ooops...posted before my comments...
I take the basket out and put the lid right back on. Then I have lots of time to go bang the basket on a hard surface. I hose whatever doesn't pound out.
Thank you all for the suggestions.
So I CAN close off all my intakes...I just need to remember to re-point the valves for the skimmers before proceeding, and of course opening them all up before turning on the pump. I think if I get a spare basket that will make the job even quicker and easier (I did the same with spare filter bags for my Polaris cleaner). I might even consider putting the automation into "Service Mode" first for more responsive control of the on/off process as the delay using my Screenlogic App made it that much more difficult to time filling and resealing the strainer basket.

And using some form of skimmer sock should help a lot, too, especially at this point in the season when the trees are dropping all sorts of crud in volume.

Again, Thanks all!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.