Trenchless Pipe Repairs

alam2p

May 4, 2022
Vancouver BC
I'm exploring my possibilities in a skimmer line leak repair. Most of what I see points towards digging things up and doing it the traditional way, but I have a large concrete sidewalk and that is not the most ideal way to do it.
I see mentions online of trenchless CIPP (cured in place pipe) repairs:

PipePatch Point Repair CIPP Trenchless Pipe Repair | Fernco - Canada
WHY IS LINING YOUR POOL DRAIN PIPES A BETTER OPTION?
Pool Pipe Repairs Under Swimming Pools | Nuflow
... the list of links can go on. It doesn't look like a scam - there are reputable commercial organizations who use this as a form of repair as well.

Is there a reason why no one talks about it? It seems like a solid method of pipe repair since epoxy is often used in plastics repair anyway (epoxy putty in skimmers, main drains, etc). Isn't this an alternative method for those who do not have easy access to underneath their pool deck?

Love to hear thoughts on this...

I spent a fair amount of time exploring this option to repair a leak. In general, it works really well, for drain and waste type applications. They typically do not repair pipes that are less than 2". I happen to find the only one in Ohio that would do these repairs in 1 1/2" pipe. If you have 2" you may find someone, 1.5" may be a challenge. Luckily, they found the leak to be in the skimmer, not the line. I asked for the estimate to do 20" if the repair to the skimmer didn't work, they said $2000USD. So the expense is one reason.

The second reason is the configuration of the line. In the skimmer, there is a threaded fitting to be able to "Plug" the skimmer in the winter. When you put the CIPP in place, unless you find someone with very special skills, you likely will lose those threads. Likewise, on the pad end, you would have to have a smooth bore coming out of the ground. You would have to remove all your valves, do the CIPP, then replace/"re-place" the inbound plumbing.

Reactions: HermanTX
I spent a fair amount of time exploring this option to repair a leak. In general, it works really well, for drain and waste type applications. They typically do not repair pipes that are less than 2". I happen to find the only one in Ohio that would do these repairs in 1 1/2" pipe. If you have 2" you may find someone, 1.5" may be a challenge. Luckily, they found the leak to be in the skimmer, not the line. I asked for the estimate to do 20" if the repair to the skimmer didn't work, they said $2000USD. So the expense is one reason.

The second reason is the configuration of the line. In the skimmer, there is a threaded fitting to be able to "Plug" the skimmer in the winter. When you put the CIPP in place, unless you find someone with very special skills, you likely will lose those threads. Likewise, on the pad end, you would have to have a smooth bore coming out of the ground. You would have to remove all your valves, do the CIPP, then replace/"re-place" the inbound plumbing.
Thanks. $2k sounds like a lot of money but factoring in the fact that I don't need to have someone come in, jackhammer my deck to pieces, and then trying to restore it to the same texture as before, it still seems like a better alternative. I'm reading that they're able to do spot repairs, so basically just for the length of the crack... Perhaps I won't need to lose any of the threading. Thanks for the information though - I didn't realize that was a problem.

This still seems like fairly new technology in pool pipe repairs and not too many companies have the ability or tech to do smaller diameter pipe repairs. I'm personally hoping this field takes off because it will be revolutionary for people like me who have piping under near-impossible-to-reach areas.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.