Tree trimming next door left sawdust & a "slick" on my pool surface

SavageStar

Aug 2, 2020
Richmond, TX
So we haven't swum in the pool since last September (it's now March), and I've been okay through the winter, except I had to go clean the surface off today due to some tree trimming that was done next door. It's not unexpected and we were glad to have the neighbor take care of their tree.
However, I noticed a "slick" of some type on the surface of the pool. My first instinct is maybe it's a mixture of sawdust and exhaust from the chainsaws? Or would it be just very fine wood dust? What should I do?
I've seen a lot of recommendations on here re: scumbugs & tennis balls, but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing in either case. I'd hate to find out there's a different recommendation on here if it's petroleum.

My first thought is bar & chain oil. How close to your pool were the chainsaws? Chainsaws drip oil into the chain to keep it lubricated and this does produce a fine oil mist coming off the tip of the blade.

Reactions: SavageStar
My first thought is bar & chain oil. How close to your pool were the chainsaws? Chainsaws drip oil into the chain to keep it lubricated and this does produce a fine oil mist coming off the tip of the blade.
The chainsaw blades are oiled and it comes off on the sawdust. The sawdust enters the pool and washes off.

Tennis balls work great for sucking up oils and lotions. Or you can buy scuz balls designed for it.

Reactions: SavageStar
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.