Central Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
My travertine coping is being installed tomorrow around inground pool. They will give an option to have grout in between the coping or have the travertine butt up against each other. Which is better for more of a sturdy and reliable adhesion? The coping is smooth on the sides and not tumbled, so they can fit tightly together. Please let me know your thoughts which is best.

are they laying it with sand under it or a bed of mortar?

if had my choice I'd grout. no weeds, no ants and never have to re-sand again.

just make sure they follow the direction on mixing the grout. there are directions on there for a reason. I've seen guys laying tile just pour some in a bucket and toss in some water. the thing they don't realize is all the good stuff (color additives) settle in the bottom of the bag. that is one of the reasons grout colors can vary in color. that and how much water they use when they sponge it off. you can wash some of the color out of it if you are careless.

Good to know. The coping will lay on mortar. The deck will have a gravel aggregate and sand with travertine pavers on top tightly fitted without polymeric sand in between. So it sounds like you would go with grout in between the coping.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.