Transition from 1.5" to 2", suction side

May 22, 2017
The South
I have three 1.5" runs coming back from the pool on the suction side, two skimmers and a main drain. I have to re plumb the suction side of the pump due to the crappy red handled PCV valves on each supply. I have three 1.5/2 neverlube valves.

The pump is a Pentair WFE-4 with a vGreen 1.65 motor. It is currently 1.5" all the way to the pump. When I re-plumb the pad I'd like to use 2" between the pump and the three 1.5" supply lines. So create a 2" manifold that tees them together and runs to the pump inlet.

My question is where to step from 1.5 to 2"? My valves take both diameter, 1.5 on the inside and 2 over the outside. Should I use the valve to transition to 2" (my first thought), or 1.5 both sides of the valve and put 1.5 to 2" adapters in the tees at the manifold?

Does not matter. I would use as much 2" as possible.
I would also suggest using two 3-way valves (like the Jandy Neverlube). One to select between the floor and the skimmers and the other to adjust between the skimmers.

Oh, looks like you may have already bought valves. Which ones?
I would just slip the 1.5" into the valve and then use the 2" coupler and 2" pipe on the other side.
Or transitioning at the Tees would be fine too.

So my plan is to cut the old valves off which will leave my about 8" sticking out of the ground on all three pipes. I'll put a new valve on each, then 2" up through Ts making a manifold and into the pump.

This will get the suction side, which I have read that it is a much bigger impact to re-plumb the pad with 2", I won't get the pressure side until I add a water feature next year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.