Total Pool Newb here

Apr 21, 2008
So, I see I am not the only person in the world who bought a house with a pool in the yard and no idea how to work the thing:
)

So, I had a few question about my equipment before I get into really opening the pool. First, there were some parts in the filter basket (hoping I am calling it the right thing). I figured where the pressure gauge goes. But, there were a few threaded plugs? and a bottle with teflon tape around it that for the life of me a cant figure out. Can anyone give me an idea where these may go on my setup? (and actually i think i found where one of the threaded plugs goes, theres a small hole at the bottom of the filter basket that i saw when i was taking my pictures)

Second question, the previous owner had the pool professionally closed last year. What can I expect they did to the equipment? Any of the pipes or tubes plugged or removed? Anything I should check before I try and start it up myself?

Third, I found the skimmer cover (didnt take a picture of it, now that i think of it), is there anything I will need to do in there before I open the pool? There seems to be some collected green/brown water in there which has me thinking it was plugged or something? Or is that normal for having sat over the winter with no circulation?

Ok thats it for the questions from my end. I should add I have a Hayward Virtical Grid DE filter and Pump (model number C48K2N143B1?) . I thought the model number on the filter was 710XR50, but searching around the net has me thinking that that is the valve not the filter.

Thanks for the resource and any help you can offer!

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 180
  • dodads.jpg
    dodads.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 180
  • everything.jpg
    everything.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 180
Usually the pipe at the bottom of the skimmer is plugged and often the return in the pool is plugged as well. There will be at least one drain plug that needs to be put back in the pump and sometimes one for the filter as well. If you have a heater it will have a drain plug that needs to be put in as well.

Colorful water in the skimmer is normal and not normally a problem. Typically anti-freeze is added, which is often pink though sometimes other colors. And if a little algae got going in there it won't be a serious problem.

I have no idea what the small bottle is unless it is a sight glass for the waste pipe so you can see when backwashing is over, except they don't normally look like that.

I checked the area near the valve and there was a place for the little bottle to go, so I guess it is a sight glass afterall, good call there.

Also, I put one of the plugs into the filter basket thing, if it fits it means it should probably be in there right? There was nothing else to plug that hole...

Now there is the mystery of the other plug... I don't think the system has a heater. Where on the pump would the plug go?

Mr.Bungle...Your pump basket looks the same as mine and has 2 plugs in it one below the inlet line and one on the side. That little bottle is indeed the sight Gage for back wash and rinse so you can see if the water is getting clean. It should have a seal with it and could possibly be in the threads ware it screws in. good luck

The Mermaid Queen said:
I love your caption on the second photo: "dodads" :lol:

Those flash cards would really come in handy now.....LOL.

Welcome to TFP! This is a great site and the people here are very knowledgeable and helpful. Like you, I bought a house with a pool and had no idea what to do. Don't be afraid to ask any question. There is always someone that will be able to answer it or direct you to the place to get the answer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.