Total alkalinity test turns charcoal, not green

Jun 14, 2011
New Jersey
So my TA test seemed to always turn charcoal color first, then green on the next drop. I know most will say its the blue color which happens in presence of high chlorine but I am certain this happens with low and high chlorine. To me this looks like blackish/charcoal color, not blue at all. Is this normal and should I count the charcoal as final result or the additional drop when it turns green?

You need to keep going. The end point is crazy intense Barbie pink. And you should also know that the grey will "flash" and return to green. Keep adding drops, it will "flash" pink and settle at grey. At some point it will stay Barbie pink. Then you're done.

For example, my TA is 70. The test goes grey at 5 drops, pink at 6 drops, Barbie pink at 7 drops, and stays Barbie pink at 8 drops.

I don't count the 8th drop - call it 7, multiply by 10, and my TA is 70.

You need to keep going. The end point is crazy intense Barbie pink. And you should also know that the grey will "flash" and return to green. Keep adding drops, it will "flash" pink and settle at grey. At some point it will stay Barbie pink. Then you're done.

For example, my TA is 70. The test goes grey at 5 drops, pink at 6 drops, Barbie pink at 7 drops, and stays Barbie pink at 8 drops.

I don't count the 8th drop - call it 7, multiply by 10, and my TA is 70.
Perfect Answer! :goodjob:

I explained this wrong, it does not turn green, it turns red..... meaning it turns charcoal, then red on the next drop..... instructions also say red.... never seen a pink color on my tests.... unless you guys have a different idea of pink color? The instructions say in presence of high chlorine it will first turn blue..... mine always goes charcoal (high or low chlorine) and then red on next drop.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.