Topping off with well water?

Goldenzrule

Jun 6, 2018
Newtown, CT
We are new to pools, never having one and am just learning. We have well water and have to top off. I know the metals in the well can be an issue and turn the pool water brown from what I have read and create some staining. Everything I read was filling the pool, and not topping off. I would assume that topping off over time introduces more well water. Is it safe to top off? Would we have to have the well tested first to see where our levels are in the well? Would appreciate and info anyone can provide. Thanks and I look forward to being a part of this community more as we are eager to learn.

Well, (no pun intended) yes - have your well tested. Mine has high iron so it would introduce iron into a pool.

Do you have any filter at all on the well? We have one, and when the stuff inside needs replacing all the toilets and other fixtures begin to get orange staining. Any issues at your house?

Welcome to the forum:wave:

Well water is a common problem we see on the forum. As tim5055 says, have it tested to find out how much iron, if any, you have.

A tiny, tiny bit is meaningless but a whole lot is a whole lot of trouble. It doesn't take much .3 - .5 ppm seem to be a guideline for problems to occur.

Take a 5 gallon bucket and put a couple oz of bleach in it, then fill it. This will see if it has a high amount of iron in it if it turns brown. If it doesn't a few top offs should be safe until you get the water tested

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.