Took down to level again still about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 off level

From what I've read 2 inches would probably be okay for the summer. We got a quote and they wanted $400 to level us a spot. That's just not doable right now with everything else we need to get for the pool. So, we'll be out soon trying to do it ourselves. I can already see it's going to be a huge pain to get it completely level. Good luck with your pool!

Nancy :flower:

Thanks Nancy.

Frankly now that you said 400 dollars was your quote I kinda feel like a fool not getting some quotes. Your situation might end up way different than mine but the amount of money on tools and effort I spent I would of gotten off way cheaper by paying someone 400 dollars. Like I said your situation might end up way different but I am inclined to say just pay the 400.

Keep me posted though. I would love to hear how you make out if you do it yourself.

Like I said in an earlier post the Romans did it in BC so it obviously very doable. I just don't know what I am doing and unfortunately don't have any knack for it.

Reactions: southernblessings
$400 is very location specific. And there's a big difference between getting someone with a machine to eyeball it vs. truly level it. I got quotes between $800-1500 and there would be a lot of lawn damage as a result of their loader. Didn't seem worth it. I could have rented a smaller machine for $200/day at Home Depot but I just plowed through it a few hours every day by hand.

The ONLY way it was possible for me was with a water level. I tried the 4' level, level on the long 2x4 going around the circle, block to block leveling, etc. Didn't get me anywhere. Finally put together a water level and made quick work of leveling my blocks, then carved out the circle as needed. In 10 seconds I could check how level any spot in the circle was.

My setup was something like this: water level I made markings on the 2x4 instead of using a ruler, and used grey PVC conduit fittings with goop to hold the hose into the bucket. You can probe around to see which spots are lower or higher, and you can establish a reference height for leveling. Easy to recalibrate every morning, or if water is added or spills-- just go back to your reference point and that is the new target you're working with. Or add/subtract water to get to the number you wroked with. Very handy and easy to use.

Reactions: southernblessings
That is what I am going to try next then.
I really appreciate the advice.
Still will get some quotes just because why not. If they come in low enough it will be worth it. If not I will start setting up water level or buy one.

@JimR1998 You're very right about the price. We live in the middle of nowhere, lol.

Thanks for the link you posted! I think we'll probably use the water level method. Not looking forward to the leveling at all. It'll probably be a few weeks before we get to level it. We still have some parts that are ordered and aren't here yet.

Nancy :flower:

I appreciate the response.

I mean I do clearly have no idea what I am doing unfortunately. I did think that it would be physically demanding to level but didn't understand how difficult to get ground level was. I have tried a line level and 2x4 with level on top. Just don't get how I look so good and double check everything but end up so far off.
I might just have to get a professional to look and give me a price.
Still nuts to me that it is a 300 dollar pool from Walmart and here I am spent double on that on various tools etc and 50 percent on water. I just didn't know what I was getting into.

I don't have any solutions to offer, just wanted to say I feel your pain. Misery loves company, right? I had to laugh when I read your post because I had the exact same thought as you - there's no way everyone buying these for $300 at the big box store is going through all of this or spending $1k to have it done professionally. Our ground is 3-4" out of level and my first attempt to dig up the sod and level this Texas clay was such a disaster I stopped before ruining more of my backyard. All of the local message boards say "just throw it on the grass and you'll be fine".... I just have a hard time trusting that. Anyway, good luck.

Ok, here’s my two cents. I’ve had Intex pools for several years now, and have done the leveling myself. I’m about an inch off in my current location, and that has been fine for the last 6 years (2 pools). But if I go Intex again when the current one needs replacing (or even if I do a more permanent AGP), I’m paying a professional to level. It was HARD when I did it before, and I’m getting older every day!

Thanks for all the input.

That looks great @merc123 . I feel like you have a ton more skill in doing this than I do though. Even your original "rig" to get it level I don't know if I can pull off.

@kellyfair
I hear you. I worked pretty hard on it and woke up sore for about a week after I stopped. I do plan on getting quotes but if the price is to high I probably go the water level route. As @TexasSummers said just crazy to think these pools are 300 dollars so to spend over 1000 to get it installed just seems crazy to me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

We tried to level ourselves and then had to give up. Our neighbor’s landscaping company came in, leveled it, set the pavers and laid sand for comfort. We have been up and running for a week with one cracked pavers and a 1/2 inch difference in level, and it’s as perfect as it gets. We are two college educated plus individuals and this was not easy! I am shocked that there aren’t more complaints about these pools. I just hope it holds the season, but it all seems good so far!?

That looks great @merc123 . I feel like you have a ton more skill in doing this than I do though. Even your original "rig" to get it level I don't know if I can pull off.

@kellyfair
I hear you. I worked pretty hard on it and woke up sore for about a week after I stopped. I do plan on getting quotes but if the price is to high I probably go the water level route. As @TexasSummers said just crazy to think these pools are 300 dollars so to spend over 1000 to get it installed just seems crazy to me.

If you can electrical tape a temp gun and a string level to an L-shaped post onto some rebar, you can do the rig :) For me it was easier than the water level since I had all the parts to make it. My college education helps me none with "manual labor" type stuff. Throw a keyboard on it and I'm an expert. Not so much when using my hands otherwise.

I've spent quite a bit on our outdoor space. I was thinking it was crazy too, but then I saw a neighbors pool for the first and they just threw it up on a patch of grass. It works I guess but it looks awful. I wanted a nice outdoor oasis I can be proud of :)

I am on my third time draining the pool to try to relevel. At last attempt, I was "only" 1.5 inches off, and I definitely could live with that, especially if I kept it at a level which seemed to minimize immediately drawing my eyes to the little blue squares' alignment. What was bothering more, though, was that on the high side, about 4 of the legs were not vertical and were tilted in -- like this: \. Not that severe, of course. I tried many ways to get them perpendicular, to no avail. The bottoms of the legs were as far in as they could go. I just didn't know if they would continue to tilt at an increasing angle, and that was bothering the heck out of me. Draining is a simple process for me, since I have 2 grown-up empty lots on the sides of me.

Unfortunately, my husband is spending the next 2 months in a rehab facility 80 miles from me as he recovers from a stroke suffered on April 29. Since I cannot visit him, this is a good time for me to work on the pool. I want to order a more powerful sand filter/pump and a Hayward wide-mouth skimmer. I'd better get on the ball, though, because there is a system in the Gulf of Mexico that may be headed our way! I am going to get outside today and see if I can move the pool myself. Wish me luck!!

I put up my Intex 16X32X54 last summer,...twice :(
I was about 1 1/2 in off then about a week after filling a couple of pavers broke. Thank goodness I was still under the Intex warranty and they sent me two new legs, but I had to drain and start over.

Attachments

• IMG_0579.JPEG
    IMG_0579.JPEG
    366.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0580.JPEG
    IMG_0580.JPEG
    449.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0584.JPEG
    IMG_0584.JPEG
    585.2 KB · Views: 40
Maddog, Sorry I am late to this discussion. You may be already done at this point, but I will go ahead and put this out there for everyone as well.
Last summer I put up our 18x33x54" AGP (15,900gal). Biggest pool project I have ever undertaken. Years ago we had a WalMart pool that I just sat on the ground and filled. No leveling! One day it just exploded. We were very lucky no one was hurt. It is a really scary event that I never want to happen again. The next pool was a 24' round that we had installed. I watched the whole process and the pool company did a great job using a transit and laser level.
Fast forward to last summer when I had a $7,000 pool I was putting up myself, and I was very intimidated. How do I get this massive pool wall with 20 stanchions perfectly level? I used a homemade water level to get close, but there was too much error. If it was sunny the water would heat up and expand in the hose, or if I moved it the hose would bend and the level would change, etc.
Well a miracle happened one day. It rained. And rained. The water filled by pool "hole". A perfect water level! I could see where each of my pads were either high or low and could move them to where the water was equal on everyone of them. Crazy accurate! I used one pad to be my cornerstone to level the others to. I ran a hose to fill the water to where it was just covering the pad, and then worked the others to the same height. The trick is to have a way for the watter to travel to each pad, a small trench around the perimeter. An added bonus is I could level the entire floor of the pool so the water was at the same height across the whole thing!
I also used crushed stone to put the pads on. It is very fine and packs down like concrete. Just a couple of inches of it under the pads made them solid.
This spring I went around and measured the top of the water in the pool to the top of the wall at each stanchion and they were all within a tenth of an inch.

I hope this helps you and good luck!

High guys back after draining the pool and trying to level the ground some more. I was 2 1/2 inches off and now it looks like I am 1 3/4 off. Everything I read said it should be safe. My main concern is safety. I am about half way full and still haven't noticed the waterline being off but I really mainly care about safety for the summer. What are your thoughts. It is a summerwaves 16 ft round pool.
So still 2 inches off with it half full. Hopefully it either stays at just that or somehow I get extremely lucky and it settles the right way.
I am going to leave it for the summer and then get some qoutes from a pro.
I set the pavers and used a 4’ level to each one

Attachments

• 449C0BE0-23F6-4AAB-82DD-19042ACCBD90.jpeg
    449C0BE0-23F6-4AAB-82DD-19042ACCBD90.jpeg
    759.7 KB · Views: 35
. I could have rented a smaller machine for $200/day at Home Depot
I tried the 4' level, level on the long 2x4 going around the circle, block to block leveling, etc. Didn't get me anywhere
Well there's your problem. Home Depot 2x4s are more twisted than their 3.5 inch deck screws. You didn't stand a chance.

Reactions: sammckin
The insanity to me about this is how difficult it is to get level as well as you have to be at 2 inches or less. I mean they sell these at freaking Walmart. I just am not sure how many people who buy these pools are doing their homework. Just seems like there would be a ton of broken pools out there
I keep thinking this too! Your average Joe is not doing all of this prep! And yet we don't hear about pool accidents, like, ever.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.