too much combined chlorine

Jun 7, 2008
Hey, i've owned pools for awhile but am new to this forum and I like the idea of saving $$ the BBB way. My chlorine levels are way out of whack--combined is 4 and free is 0--and I'd like to know how much bleach (6%) to add to get the combined down to 0. I have an above ground pool with a capacity of 8,000 gallons. Also, how long will my children need to wait before they can swim again after I add bleach.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Also, I would highly recommend posting your equipment list, and also a complete set of test results, like FC, PH, TA, CYA, etc. if you don't have a good test kit, that should be the first thing you spend money on, the second being bleach!!!

Good luck! Welcome to TFP...:)

Thanks. I have a ProLine DE filter and 1hp pump. The rest of my tests are all fine--pH 7.4 TA 100 CYA 40. My only problem is getting rid of the combined chlorine. Thanks for the info.

Your welcome.

The pool calculater says for 8,000 with your CYA that you should have a shock level of 16ppm so you should add

"2 gallons 1 cup 1 oz or 2.8 (96 oz) jugs" of bleach to reach that level.

Good luck!!!

The pool calculator is just pure magic. We are all so blessed to have this forum...:)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.