Too "homemade"?

It's related to the depth of the water above the orifice (valve) and unfortunately height off the ground doesn't come into play.

You could test to see if it's a significant effect using plain water, and count the drops when it's like 1/8 full and then when it's completely full.

If it is an issue, you could connect a piece of tubing to the interior valve port and use a float on the other end of the tube to cause it to always pick up water from say a inch or two below the surface. Then you would always be consistent with your drops.

It's related to the depth of the water above the orifice (valve) and unfortunately height off the ground doesn't come into play.

You could test to see if it's a significant effect using plain water, and count the drops when it's like 1/8 full and then when it's completely full.

If it is an issue, you could connect a piece of tubing to the interior valve port and use a float on the other end of the tube to cause it to always pick up water from say a inch or two below the surface. Then you would always be consistent with your drops.

I'm just johnny-negative here, but I don't the head pressure cares about the elevation of the inlet. Only about the height of liquid above the valve/measuring point. That being said, placing the valve down near pool water level (with just a tube exiting the tank) would yield less of a pressure difference between high and low levels in the tank than if the valve was at the bottom of the tank. I do not know how much the ionic properties of the liquid to the small diameter tube impacts the base physics of pressure head however.

Put the garbage can on your roof with a 1" PVC to a valve at ground level and you'll be golden. :)

correct, head pressure is based on the height of the liquid in the can vs where it discharges from, other variables are pretty negligible for that low of a flow rate. I like the idea of putting the tank on the roof :)

It seemed to work O.K. but I changed it a little to hopefully get a little more consistent gravity pressure. 10' length of 1/4' tubing has a lot of surface tension (I think).
I used 10' of 1/2" tubing from the 5 gal. pail and reduced it to a 1/4" micro valve right before it drips in to the pool.

I'll keep a close eye on it.........:hammer:

You guys are right. I overlooked the depth relationship between the valve and the water. To correct it, I'd put the valve on a float (underside of a piece of styrofoam?) so the inlet to orifice was at a constant short distance regardless of the depth of the mixture. In my mind that's a heck of a lot less trouble than mounting, filling, checking and adjusting a container with 150 lbs of liquid mounted on a roof?? Huh?? Besides not being an eyesore and the potential for leaks bleaching your roof and walls, it would be far more convenient to work with poolside. Might even be able to tuck it behind a nearby bush.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.