To CYA or not to CYA

CaptJoe

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 3, 2010
Bayville, NJ
Hi kids, just installed new liner and new SWG...discussion at the local pool store while buying DE about using CYA..pool store says NOT to use stabilizer when using SWG...this goes against everything I’ve learned here ..no problems with chlorine usage over last 10 years ..seems to me I’d need stabilizer no matter how the chlorine enters the pool( SWG)..thoughts?.

Pool stores are full of misinformation.

Go back another day and I'll bet the other clerk will tell you the opposite.

If you don't use CYA, you'll need to run the SWG 100% 24/7 and you'll probably still end up with algae due to low FC. There's no way to keep up with solar losses. Who benefits from you getting algae? The guy who will load you up with algaecide, phosfree, shock, yellow-out, floc, and clarifier. That's who.

That advice is beyond-stupid. Chlorine is chlorine is chlorine. If you have no CYA the sun will destroy it in less than 20mins and your water will be harsh and nasty.

I experimented with no CYA when I first got my pool this year. There was a discussion a few pages long... Lots of good info in that. Is CYA Absolutely Necessary???

Now I will say that I do use CYA. but I went a good month without any and truthfully my pool was fine.
Now what @Richard320 said was right. You cant keep up with solar losses without CYA, but if you have an auto cover as I do, you can get by.
Now I had to run my SWG at around 60% with a pump speed 3 to keep up with solar loss on days we used the pool, and dialed it down to 20% at speed 3 on the days we didnt use the pool at all.
Keeping up with the swings was the hardest part.
The water wasnt harsh (even though a few times the FC got up over 10) and I felt no adverse effects of no CYA.
I added it because I was sick of the swings in FC and having to change the SWG settings based on usage.
Now with CYA in the pool I havent touched the pool in 2 months. Literally not once. 20% swg at speed 3. I only test PH and FC about once a week to make sure its in range.

I experimented with no CYA when I first got my pool this year. There was a discussion a few pages long... Lots of good info in that. Is CYA Absolutely Necessary???

Now I will say that I do use CYA. but I went a good month without any and truthfully my pool was fine.
Now what @Richard320 said was right. You cant keep up with solar losses without CYA, but if you have an auto cover as I do, you can get by.
Now I had to run my SWG at around 60% with a pump speed 3 to keep up with solar loss on days we used the pool, and dialed it down to 20% at speed 3 on the days we didnt use the pool at all.
Keeping up with the swings was the hardest part.
The water wasnt harsh (even though a few times the FC got up over 10) and I felt no adverse effects of no CYA.
I added it because I was sick of the swings in FC and having to change the SWG settings based on usage.
Now with CYA in the pool I havent touched the pool in 2 months. Literally not once. 20% swg at speed 3. I only test PH and FC about once a week to make sure its in range.
I see posts pretty regularly from people that intentionally try and avoid using CYA...I'm curious why?

Well, quite frankly, in a pool that’s covered 23 hours a day (maybe more day by day) its effectiveness is clearly less than an open pool.
I got by a month without it, just didn’t like the swings. It can definitely be done, but why? Not sure there is a good why, CYA isn’t expensive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.