Bronze Supporter
Apr 16, 2019
Bremen, GA, 65 m west of Atlanta
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm going to install a Hayward Dura-Skim through wall skimmer into my AGP this weekend, and I can't decide whether to cut the liner first and use the butterfly gasket as per instructions, or cut the butterfly gasket and install that way, then cut the liner. Those who have installed this booger, what do you recommend? I'm torn and can't decide which approach to take!

Also, I've watched several videos and it always seems to be difficult to get the screws through the vinyl liner. Assuming you drain the pool to a safe level, would it be reasonable to drill the holes using the tiniest bit possible, with a battery operated drill? The vinyl isn't part of the threading process for the screws, after all. Just something to make it easier to get the screws in.

Thanks!

I think I've figured out the perfect plan! Put the faceplate up to trace the opening, and at the same time use an ice pick to poke the screw holes through. That way they're in correct relation to the skimmer hole, and I don't have to worry about getting the screws through the liner.

And those instructions on the sheet that comes with the skimmer are sheer garbage. They start with number 1 assuming you already cut the hole for the skimmer with no discussion of HOW to do this, then about 5 instructions for screwing in the screws, then the very last instruction discusses how to cut the hole in the liner after the skimmer is installed! Also absolutely nothing about using the gasket. Geezly crow. Someone who's actually installed one ought to rewrite those directions.

I feel like the faceplate trace will leave you with the hole a little too small. Even tracing the gasket left mine needing some additional cuts so it would fit inside the gasket. Too small is however better than too big.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.