Tips and Tricks

I have an old school TFP laminated test instruction sheet with the 25ml sample size for CH. I just remember the "new" way by 103. 10ml sample, 10 drops of R-0010, 3 drops of R-0011. 10x10x10 or 103

I use a very large turkey baster to collect my water samples. It's about 10-12 inches long so I dont have to get my hand or arm wet when collecting a sample

Also - I had the same problem as some people when I took out the hair net some of the debris floated around. So I make sure I take out the basket with the hairnet while the pump is running so the hairnet and debris stay in the basket as I'm lifting it out of the skimmer box

Reactions: markdpratt
I don't know if anyone else will find this helpful, but on the last two pools built on our last two houses, I noticed the builder installed a (temporary) hose bib in the pool pad plumbing just after the pump, about waist high, for leak testing the system. In both cases I asked them to leave it installed as it would be a good place to pull water samples in my test bottle and it makes me go eyeball and service the equipment when I am over there. It's been my solution for the last 25 years or so. No bending, nothing gets wet. I have a kid fence around the pool and it keeps the door closed there too.

If you are in the process of building a pool, it's free.

Reactions: Aleila
This one was kind of a "happy accident". Like many others here, I like to keep a log and history of my test results. Without really paying attention, I have accumulated weekly logs for the last several years. In the 'comments' section of my log sheet, in addition to any chem adjustment, I'd also jot down any pool related activities that day or week. "Katies 5th birthday party", "Noah's baseball team party", "Rich and family (my brother) visiting from Dallas w/ big family cookout", "Megan's (our dog) first venture into the water", etc. The result of those notations is that looking back at the logs is like reading a diary, and brings back many great memories that would likely otherwise be forgotten.

I don't know if anyone else will find this helpful, but on the last two pools built on our last two houses, I noticed the builder installed a (temporary) hose bib in the pool pad plumbing just after the pump, about waist high, for leak testing the system. In both cases I asked them to leave it installed as it would be a good place to pull water samples in my test bottle and it makes me go eyeball and service the equipment when I am over there. It's been my solution for the last 25 years or so. No bending, nothing gets wet. I have a kid fence around the pool and it keeps the door closed there too.

If you are in the process of building a pool, it's free.

My previous plumbing had a hose bibb above the pump, and so does my all-new plumbing. PB installed it. I'm trying to understand how it serves for leak testing the system. How's that work?

What my PB did use the hose bibb for was priming the pump after my empty pool was refilled. He had a female-to-female hose adapter, attached a garden hose, and forced water into the hose bibb to help prime.

Thanks so much to the people suggesting using hairnets in the skimmer. I cannot believe the crud those things collected! We have a major amount of carpenter ants, and their bodies are perfectly sized to get stuck in my skimmer basket, making me sit there and poke them all through in order to get the thing clean. It would take me 5-6 minutes just to clean the skimmer! Now it takes me about 30 seconds to replace the hairnet with a new one. Not to mention all the pollen it collects, and other junk that would have certainly caused me to do major backwashing. Such a simple but effective tip!

Can you snap a pic so i can have a visual idea? Thx

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you snap a pic so i can have a visual idea? Thx

I like to see a repost as well. Thx

Here ya go. I just snapped this pic just now. We’ve had some strong winds yesterday and today, and this is what was in it. The rock is used to weigh down the basket so it doesn’t float up to the surface of the skimmer. Just make sure the rock is larger then the diameter of the pipe at the bottom of your skimmer in case you drop it by accident.

And these are the exact hair nets you see in the picture. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0725HRKWK?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Attachments

• CD8C436B-A4AC-479F-9223-C1DDD8A25568.jpg
    CD8C436B-A4AC-479F-9223-C1DDD8A25568.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 510
Reactions: TexasRain and heycj
Here ya go. I just snapped this pic just now. We’ve had some strong winds yesterday and today, and this is what was in it. The rock is used to weigh down the basket so it doesn’t float up to the surface of the skimmer. Just make sure the rock is larger then the diameter of the pipe at the bottom of your skimmer in case you drop it by accident.

And these are the exact hair nets you see in the picture. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0725HRKWK?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

I see now thanks

I love this and I have gobs of them!

For anyone with a Polaris pressure cleaner: If you're having problems with it squirting water from its tail out of the pool, consider getting the Tail Sweep Pro. Ours used to squirt water all over the deck, windows, and walls of the house. This little device fixed that completely and we've had zero squirting out of the pool since installing it several months ago.
https://www.amazon.com/Polaris-TSP10S-TailSweep-Pro/dp/B00C404MI0
(I'm not affiliated with this product in any way. I'm just impressed by how well it worked for us)

Also.....hair nets in the skimmer basket FTW!! :cool:

Re: A couple of tips I thought everybody knew. Anybody got some

Do you have a picture or video on how you do this? I can't seem to visualize this in my head

I keep a long handled aquarium dip net lying on top of my skimmer cover. I found it is much easier to swirl the net inside the skimmer to remove debris than bending down to remove the entire basket. Added bonus - since the dip net makes it so easy to clean, the skimmer it gets cleaned several times a day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support