Timer for Pump?

Oct 10, 2017
Dallas, Texas
Hello all, I recently finally pulled the trigger and ordered our pool and equipment, I'm wondering if I also need a timer for the pump or the SWG? I'd like to have it ahead of time before the installer comes but I'm really confused about what I may need.

SOLAXX SALTRON RETRO SALTWATER CHLORINE GENERATOR SALRET20A -SWG
Pentair - OptiFlo Vertical Discharge 1HP Above Ground Pool Pump Dual Speed Motor with 3' Twist-Lock Cord, 115V -Filter

Hello all, I recently finally pulled the trigger and ordered our pool and equipment, I'm wondering if I also need a timer for the pump or the SWG? I'd like to have it ahead of time before the installer comes but I'm really confused about what I may need.

SOLAXX SALTRON RETRO SALTWATER CHLORINE GENERATOR SALRET20A -SWG
Pentair - OptiFlo Vertical Discharge 1HP Above Ground Pool Pump Dual Speed Motor with 3' Twist-Lock Cord, 115V -Filter

That SWG is a retrofit unit - is there a reason you are using a retrofit unit on a new installation?

The SWG you have selected has a built in timer, but only for the SWG itself, it cannot control your pump.

You have a two speed motor, so you are going to want not only a timer for the pump, but one that will select between hi and low speeds (or else why have a two speed motor)

Your motor also has a twist lock plug, so whatever timer you get needs to be twist lock (you can also change the plug on the motor is you want)

You should install a SWG rated for double the capacity of your pool. Even running at 100% for 24 hours, the 20K system you selected will only add about 3.2 ppm of FC to your pool daily. It may be a good idea to upgrade to a 40K system if you can.

If you are making chlorine (i.e. your SWG is running) you should have your pump running as well. In the case of the SWG you have, it is not necessary, but it is desirable, in order to distribute the chlorine.

Part of that time is going to be used for necessary filtration, and the remainder for chlorine circulation. So lets say you determine you need to run your SWG for 8 hours a day, and you need to run your filter for 4 hours for filtration. You could set up a schedule as follows

6 AM - 10 AM - motor on hi, SWG runnning
6 PM - 8 PM - motor on low, SWG running

This timer will work with a 120V two speed motor. - I'm not suggesting it, nor do I have any experience with it.

Note that this is a hard wired mechanism, not a twist lock, so you either have to hard wire your motor to the controller, or you need to add a twist lock receptacle after the controller.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.