Time of day to add liquid chlorine?

DerekP

Jun 18, 2019
Fletcher, NC
I tried to find a post on this. Sorry if it is a repeat (seems like it would be)

I’m manually adding liquid chlorine and testing. I am finding a reliable pattern emerging which is nice.

I’m adding in the morning before work with the pump running. Does it matter what time of day you add liquid chlorine. I assume you always want the pump on to circulate the chem add, yes?

Thx in advance for your thoughts,
Derek

Best time I’ve found is when the sun goes down or at least isn’t on the pool at all then testing about 15 mins later to check the FC level. That way the chlorine has a chance of sanitizing longer before the sun hits it again in the early morning. I like to test before the sun hits the pool in the am too to check for FC loss without the sun affecting test results. (keeps any algae issues from appearing and lets me know if I have a problem). I use up a bit of regents this way but I like keeping a close watch on my FC and CC on a daily basis.

I like to test and add chemicals at night, but this is simply because it fits my schedule. It doesn't really matter as long as you can be consistent and do about the same time each day to avoid chlorine going below the minimum needed based on your CYA level.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.