Time for settling before concrete decking

lwin7

Sep 26, 2020
Michigan
Hi all,
This forum is a great resource, and my first time posting. I live in Michigan and having an vinyl liner inground pool installed now. I will have backfill by 10/10/20, it’s a number 2 sand that is being brought in. For those that had sand/dirt backfill, how long did you wait before pouring concrete? Don’t want to rush it and may wait till Spring, but would also like to wrap this project up this year if the weather cooperates. It gets cold here in mid November. Thanks in advance for your input.

I am thinking 4 weeks before pouring per a couple pool installers in my area, and I will water in the dirt religiously. I only have a 2 ft over dig. If you waited 4 or 5 weeks, did you have any issues with your concrete?Thanks again!

Welcome to TFP :)

Perfect timing, tell them to stop the sand, you DO NOT want sand as it will wash out and your brand new concrete will all crack within years..
  • 57 stone is about a half inch in size and is used to backfill the side walls of a pool. 57 stone works well locking together for good compaction when it is dropped into the overdig area around the pool. Its 95% compacted out of the bucket. A light hand tamp or plate compactor and you are good.[1]

With 57 stone you can wait till you want :)

Hi CowboyCasey,
Thanks very much for the link. Yes I have read a lot on this forum about using stone instead of dirt, and was just curious about anyone that used clean sand. It seems like the industry has moved to stone over the last 10 years or so. Thankfully, I was able to make the change to 57 stone in time! Thanks again!

I am very happy you were able to get it changed :)

they moved from sand because it moves with the water and it will leave your brand new deck unsupported and start to crack... the problem continues for years and keeps getting worse and worse.. imagine 10 years from now with sand and you have a 1 foot gap under your deck that you spent major money for...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.