Tile/grout efflorescence and pool cleaner issues

deelowe

Aug 15, 2020
Atlanta Georgia
Can anyone tell me if this efflorescence around our tile is normal? Pool was installed in February. I've read horror stories of water getting in behind the coping causing issues like this and that it could be early signs of potential issues. Installer states it's normal and might just need to be cleaned frequently to keep it under control, but that it usually doesn't come back after an initial cleaning.

IMG_20200815_130225.jpgIMG_20200815_130240.jpgIMG_20200815_130314.jpgIMG_20200815_130338.jpgIMG_20200815_130328.jpg

Also, my pool cleaner keeps having the hose come loose at the cleaner. It also tends to climb the wall in the deep end and skate down the wall towards the shallow end before turning around and repeating the process. When it turns around near the water line, the tail whips around and shoots water out of the out of the pool. Is this a sign that the water pressure is too high coming into the unit? It's a polaris 280.

Thank you for the help. We can't afford more work at this point. The pool itself was already very expensive. Are you suggesting we get an estimate and then go back to the pool company with it? This is a practically brand new installation.

I really can't say what the issue is. I don't know that the pool builder did anything wrong. It might be that you just need better drainage on the property.

You probably need someone who specializes in that type of thing to review the property and drainage including gutters etc to see if there's anything that can be done to better control the ground water.

Understood. I'll look into it. For reference though, the pool is at the top of a hill. All gutters are fed into underground drainage pipes. And, the kooldeck is sloped away from the pool. We made sure of all that before we poured concrete. Ground is hard georgia clay, so it doesn't hold much water. I wonder if the issue is water getting between the coping and cooldeck, hitting the clay, running underneath the travertine, and then evaporating out through he morter.

This sounds like a complicate one. Anyone have any suggestions on the polaris? That seems like a much easier problem to solve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.