Threshold on pool enclosure door that prevents insects from entering

venexiano

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Dear all,

I have an enclosure, and the 2 doors, although they have a strip of rubber coming down from the top, they don't prevent mosquitos and lizard to enter the pool area, since the stamped concrete deck is very irregular and gaps form. The doors self close with a spring. I called a local pool enclosure company and they can install thresholds but they are 1" high. I was looking for something lower that would prevent me and my family and guests from tripping. Something like 1/4" or 1/8" height would suffice, I have no more than 1/16" gap at the highest point. Maybe some rubber threshold that would not be below the door but just next to it (on the inside), so that door would lean into the rubber and seal perfectly. Rubber clearly has to be installed right at the position where the door still closes itself but presses against the threshold so no insects/lizards can enter. I looked up rubber thresholds for pool enclosures but nothing popped up. Any suggestion?

Woohoo, being from a place that the air sometimes hurts my face comes in handy for once !!!!!

Google door sweep or door draft stopper. There are a couple of styles to choose for different applications and for a screen type door I like this one that is lightweight and thin.

Is there a way to teach the lizards to stay right at the bottom of the door and eat the mosquitoes as they enter ??

When you have irregular anything, you are going to have to do customization of any solution. Have you checked w a masonry person to determine what you would need to completely level the concrete in the door threshold area? once level, then you could add a door sweep on the bottom of the door and you are done. this would also look 1000 x's better than a threshold all by itself on the concrete, would not trap water flow or debris. It would also make it a lot easier to use your hose to clean and push out the water and dirt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
I already have a door sweep. The problem is that the sweep does not completely seals the sides, even with an even bottom I feel that they would enter from the sides. Not sure that the side issue is solved by a threshold either, and tstex you made great points about water and dirt, so I should get a sweep not a threshold you are right. I will get a masonry person. Any suggestion on how to make sure the edges of the sweep are pretty sealed?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.