Thoughts on replacing 10yr old Hayward Aquarite SWG with newer version?

JefR

Gold Supporter
May 30, 2018
highland,ca
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hello everyone,
Here's my question, I have an approx 10 yr old Hayward Aquarite SWG system. I've had to replace the "flying saucer" , like a lot of you, part on the control board about 3 times during this span. I need a new T-15 cell they are about $500. I can get a complete new unit that has the salt cell and control box from Hayward, through Amazon, for $882. Is it worth the extra $382 to get the new control box? Is it any better than my 10yr old one? Do the control boards go completely bad after awhile? My electronics knowledge is minimal and appreciate your thoughts.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I bet there has not been any significant change to the control box. But, I can understand wanting to go new.
What is the cost of just the control box if it did go belly up?
You would not need the unions and flow switch from the complete setup.

Hello everyone,
Here's my question, I have an approx 10 yr old Hayward Aquarite SWG system. I've had to replace the "flying saucer" , like a lot of you, part on the control board about 3 times during this span. I need a new T-15 cell they are about $500. I can get a complete new unit that has the salt cell and control box from Hayward, through Amazon, for $882. Is it worth the extra $382 to get the new control box? Is it any better than my 10yr old one? Do the control boards go completely bad after awhile? My electronics knowledge is minimal and appreciate your thoughts.
My same exact Question, I have not found what has changed from the 1.5 to 1.59 firmware either. Thinking i might get a new one use the old system for parts if needed. Any insight

Hayward is now offering cells with 5 yr warranty but only available through B&M. Not available online. They have addressed the thermistor issue as well. IMO, the aquarite system is the easiest to work with, offers huge warranty and isn’t brutally priced.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I bet there has not been any significant change to the control box. But, I can understand wanting to go new.
What is the cost of just the control box if it did go belly up?
You would not need the unions and flow switch from the complete setup.

Thanks for the info. I have not been able to find the price for just the control box as of now. I'm just hoping if I get the new one it doesn't have the same thermistor problem, or at least not as frequent as my old one....
Thanks for the reply

So what did you decide to do? If am I reading you correctly your first cell made it almost 10years! Welcome to the club if so. I have an Aquarite as well.. and mine made it 9 years. I looked at replacing everything, or switching brands and ended up finding a good deal on a replacement T-Cell-15 (got it for ~400 (tax and shipping included) and just replaced that. I had the advantage of it dying toward the end of the pool season and using the winter to shop around. I found the prices dip toward the end of the pool season as no one wants extra stock in thier wharehouses and again at the beginning of the pool season sales.

Mine was installed in 2005 so I am going on 14yrs. I too did the therrmister dance, but have only had to replace it once. I have a spare on hand. I noticed my switch and diag buttons are getting a bit flakey. they will probably be next to get replaced. If mine is any indication that might give you an idea of your units longevity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.