Thought I had defeated mustard algae...

I must be confused. I am still in the shock process. I was told in previous posts to wait longer or lower my CYA. I am looking for a more effective CYA value to shock my pool and kill algae, specifically mustard algae. My first step is to pass the OCLT. Several above posts reference my CYA as being too high.

Please clear up my confusion.

thank you,

dobber

I said that you could lower the CYA if you wanted ... before I realized you have a SWG. {Sorry for the confusion}

You can use whatever level of CYA and shock level you wish ... but it is likely more work and money to replace water, go through the shock process with a slightly lower FC level, then have to add more CYA and salt to get back up to the SWG levels.

I took the water level down 8 inches. Adding CYA and salt is easier than getting rid of them. I'll gladly take on that challenge if I could ever kill this algae and pass the OCLT!

That is my first and only goal, to eradicate the algae and then take what I've learned in this whole process to keep it out.

Sorry for pestering you, I just want to get our pool back. And stop spending so much $$$ (or I'm going to have to move into the pool house).

A big thank you is in order for all the help with my shock process and the eradication of mustard algae. My pool passed the OCLT on Sunday morning. Increased to mustard algae shock for 24 hours and with your help, won the battle. Thank you especially to jblizzle and chem geek for the advice.

I am now in the process of letting the FC work it's way down to the target FC for a CYA of 60 according to chem geek's chart. When do I adjust my other chemicals (PH, TA, etc.)? FC is currently down to 12 today.

Again, I'm very thankful to have found this website, and I love my TF-100 to know exactly what my chemical levels are instead of guessing.

dobber

You are welcome :cheers:

Did you scrub everything down real well while at Mustard Shock Level as described here:
pool-school/mustard_algae

You will want to ensure that you keep the FC above the minimum at all times to help prevent anything from reappearing.

You can adjust everything except the pH now ... wait for the FC < 10ppm to adjust the pH if required.

I did scrub and brush everything daily and soaked every pool tool for an hour at mustard shock level. With the TF-100 and the chart, I can now maintain the FC where it should be instead of the "test strip guess" in regards to levels.

At age 56, this old dog sure learned some new tricks during this whole process.

dobber

Not to be too negative, but we won't really know if you've eradicated the algae until you run at the normal FC levels for a while and don't see the algae return. I'm keeping my fingers crossed so give us a report in a month or so to know if it worked.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.